Saturday, May 31, 2008

If you live to be 100, I'll throw you a brithday party too.

My dear friend, neighbor and distant cousin turned 100 last week. Her name is Iris Parrish Stout, and she is the coolest 100 year old person you have ever met, plus we are related which makes me cool by default. (We share a polygamist grandfather, Charles C. Rich. However we both come from the same wife, Eliza Ann Graves, and she only had two children. Iris’ line comes from one child and I come from the other. Yes, I do know a thing or two about genealogy, other than it is something you do when you’re old.)

Iris turned 100 on May 24, 2008. Last Saturday her children threw a birthday party for her at the country club. This week it was the ladies of our neighborhood that decided to honor her. A tea party, minus the tea of course, after all this is Provo and strong drink is forbidden, was in order for a lady of Iris’ stature. A hat and gloves were recommended, but not required. Karen Martin agreed to have the event at her house, and decorate. Cynthia Gaufin was in charge of invitations, and I was in charge of the food, with Cynthia’s help. Our menu was :

Roasted Chicken Salad Sandwich
Cucumber Tea Sandwich
Fresh Fruit
Grand Parisian Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Tri-color Pasta Salad
High Tea Lemon Cookies
English Pecan Cookies
Pound Cake
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Merdith the harpist, also an "adopted" granddaughter.

The decorated tables.

Iris, in the dress she made for the occasion.

The place setting, including a menu.

The food table.

Iris has had an amazing life, and been quite the socialite, while living in Washington DC, Palm Springs CA, and Provo UT. She has met the Queen of England, and was close friends with Gene Autry and his wife. In addition to being a socialite, Iris is very well educated. In the late 30’s she earned her master’s degree and met her husband at her college graduation. She was a married, working mother in the 30’s and 40’s, and instrumental in writing a report on the Colorado River Project that impacted reclamation projects for years. Every night Iris reads for three hours, and I am not talking fluffy romance novels, I am talking hard core reading material, along the lines of biographies, political books, and history books. As you can see the women in my family are genetically programmed to be well educated, strong, and independent. I cannot be blamed for my disposition, it’s in my DNA.

Iris is a true lady. She is always dressed to the “nines” and never leaves home without jewelry and a matching purse. On Friday she went to Lowe’s with her pearls on, how can you not respect that? She exhibits elegance in every sense of the word. She very much reminds me of my Grandma Hales, who is also of Iris’s generation and it is through her family line I am related to Iris. Iris has impeccable manners, and even sent me a “thank you” gift before her party. She is considerate of others, and always wants to know how you are and does not want to burden you discussing her problems.

Now you know why I think Iris Parrish Stout is one of the coolest people I know, and when I grow up I want to be just like her, and I think I have a good chance, after all we share the same DNA.


1 comments:

Smullin Family said...

Wow, what a party!!!

Iris doesn't look 100. Maybe 70 tops. Now I want to be her too... when I grow up.

I'd say you do have some good genes, on both sides. Grandma Ison is in her 90's, with a birthday coming up.