Friday, May 16, 2008

The Dance

I firmly believe that the true test of parental love is shown by attending a dance recital, a piano recital, any sports activity, or school function. It is two hours of sheer agony for 10 minutes of joy. Couple that with taking siblings to said function and it is the ultimate test of parental commitment.

Thursday night Lauren had a dance recital. There were 12 numbers and she preformed in two. Hence the excruciating pain of having to watch 10 dance numbers that did not involve my child. Although I do have to say the dance recitals are far more tolerable for me than piano recitals. Rick has the opposite problem.

I arrived early in order to get a good seat that was stroller accessible because I had Katie and Mark with me. Rick was joining us later. Apparently other parents had the same idea about arriving early, but not so much for stroller placement as for video camera, complete with tri-pod, placement. (Note: I do have a video camera, its never been out of the box, and even if I did get it out of the box then I would have to learn to use the dang thing. There’s a special place in heaven for mother like me.)

Upon arrival Mark and Katie began to observe. The dancing girls were practicing on the stage, which captured Katie’s attention, and two boys around the age of six were running around chasing each other which captured Mark’s attention. He told me they were being “naughty.” I agreed. Then Mark proceeded to try to stop the two boys from running and chasing by saying “Hey boys your being naughty don’t do that.” He was given the stink eye by the boys and ignored, which only egged him on more, and made him yell at them louder. Meanwhile Katie demanded to be let out of her stroller, and promptly grabbed the program, violently whipping it out of my right hand, into her waiting paws, and in the process the paper made contact with my lips resulting in a paper cut. FYI a paper cut on the lips HURTS.



Rick arrived and the recital started. We tagged teamed for the next hour between the two kids, while trying to watch Lauren for the brief period she was on stage. The struggle was worth every minute of enjoyment I received from watching Lauren. She was outstanding. In the past Lauren has not been real confident in her dance. During this recital she danced like a seasoned veteran. She smiled, followed the music, and had fun. We are thinking about ballroom dance next year!

0 comments: