Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bugged by Bugs.


Recently Lauren came home from school and announced that her first grade teacher told the class that more people die from bees than from sharks. Now I can appreciate the teacher trying to calm the student’s fears about killer shark attacks, but has she looked at a map lately? We live in Utah, it is a land locked state. The likelihood of coming into contact with killer sharks is minimal, baring California and Nevada falling into the Pacific Ocean. Now the likelihood of coming into contact with bees, wasps, or any other insect with wings, that is known to frighten young children is significant. So as soon as Lauren told me this, knowing her healthy sense of self preservation, I knew panic attacks would soon ensue at the site of any flying bug. I wanted to throttle the teacher.

A day or two later at breakfast Lauren saw a moth on the ceiling, and wanted to know if it would bite her. I assured her that it would not, but she cautiously watched the moth the entire time she ate. Then later she and Mark decided to scream and yell at the top of their lungs while inside the house. I instructed them to go outside and told Lauren that when school was out this summer if she and Mark continued to make all sorts of commotion in the house I was going to send both of them outside and lock the door. She broke down crying and said “You can’t do that there are bees outside.” My point exactly.

1 comments:

Ciarran said...

I remember this one time I was playing outside with Lauren when she was like four and every time she saw a fly she would start screaming "bee" at the top of her lungs. Glad to see she still hasn't gotten over that.