Monday, May 19, 2008

Go Tell it to the Judge.

I am MAD. Stark raving, completely enraged MAD. As you know I received a ticket for expired registration, 38 days to be exact, which means I am a troublesome criminal that should be publicly flogged. Well in an effort to remove the stigma associated with my criminal conduct, the day after I received the ticket I got my safety and emissions test, and passed with flying colors I might add, then I completed my registration through the slick on-line process offered by the Department of Motor Vehicles. One last stop, the courthouse to get my ticket dismissed.

After a few minutes of searching for the courthouse, it was not where I thought it would be, never mind the address was printed right on my citation, I entered the courthouse with my ticket, and my hot off the press proof of my updated registration. In fact just to prove that I take renewing my vehicle seriously and in order to clear my good name of the criminal offenses for which I have been accused, I showed up on day seven to resolve this matter, and I actually had until day fourteen. I breeze through security, stopping only to remove my necklace, and thinking myself quite smart for leaving my purse in the car. I proceed to stand in line for my turn to demonstrate how truly sorry I am for operating a motor vehicle in violation of the law. When it is my turn I approach with glee knowing that my ticket will soon be dismissed and my sins as scarlet will be turned white as snow. I hand the clerk my ticket and updated registration. She notes Officer 3178 has dated my ticket 5/87/08, but she is still able assist me, and makes a copy of my new registration for “the record.” I am getting giddy, it’s almost over. My feet begin to tap, my smile is a mile wide, I will sleep well at night knowing I am a free woman. Then she says “That will be thirty dollars please.” WHAT??!!!!! I kindly explain to her that she must be mistaken, because Officer 3178 told me that if I renewed my registration and brought proof in within 14 days the ticket will be dismissed. She replies, “Sorry this is not a ticket that can be fixed you will need to pay the thirty dollars.” At this point all giddiness has left, and anger is beginning to swell within. I consided my options:

1. I could pay the thirty dollars, however I did not bring my purse inside the courthouse, which means I would have to leave, go to my car, get my purse, enter the building again, strip for security, and stand in line again.

2. I could go tell it to the judge.

I select #2. I just could not bring myself to go through security again and suffer the humiliation of removing my jewelry. I demand to speak with the judge, after all I am an American citizen and fully know and understand my rights, besides I need to express to a higher authority how out of line this officer was in first, giving me a ticket for a registration that is only 38 days expired and second, in misleading me to believe that this ticket could be dismissed. I am told to walk down the hall to the second door on the left. Wow talk about a speedy trial, now this is justice. As I enter the second door on the left, speedy justice comes to a grinding halt. I am greeted by court scheduler who tells me in a snippy voice to wait on the bench outside until she is finished with the person she is currently helping. How was I to know she had someone in her office, I was just following instructions to proceed to the second door on the left. I sit on the bench and patiently wait. While I am waiting I being to contemplate the brilliant legal arguments I am going to make and the biting cross examination of Officer 3178 I am going to engage in. My mouth begins to foam at the thought, until my thoughts are interrupted by a rather loud “NEXT.” The court scheduler is all business and does not want to hear the details of how I have been unjustly treated by the Provo Police Department. I am given a date of June 16, 2008 at 4:00 p.m., and must sign a piece of paper indicating I promise to appear otherwise a warrant will be issued for my arrest. See I really am a troublesome criminal who should be publicly flogged.

4 comments:

Jared and Shelby said...

Tiffany, don't let the man keep you down. You've got to keep fighting this ticket. Is there such a thing for an amicus brief in Provo Justice Court? If so, let me know and I will have one filed for you by this afternoon.

Melanie said...

Once Aaron got a ticket for an expired something and the officer wrote the wrong amount of the fine on the ticket. So I paid that amount but still got a notice in the mail that Aaron would be in big trouble real soon if he didn't pay the ticket. It meant nothing to the court people that I did exactly what I was TOLD to do. The fine was determined by the state and so the police man blunders couldn't change that we still owed more money. It was aggravating.

Smullin Family said...

So how does your registration get CANCELLED, you may ask? Possibly by not getting your emissions tested. I had proof of my emissions test in August of 2007, so I was confused. Hopefully a trip to the DMV will straighten everything out...hopefully.
I hate dealing with this kind of stuff.

Jolee said...

Ciarran gave me your blog address and let the record show that yours is the ONLY blog I've ever really read, and I loved every minute of it! I can't wait to hear the follow up and wish you all the best of luck on the 16th. I had a similar stupid situation and a court date of 10 June, so someday we shall have to compare! But seriously, keep blogging...and I woudldn't just say that to anyone, but I love yours! :-) I miss your family!!!