Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A $216.26 Beef & Stout Pie.

WARNING: If you husband likes to cook, intercept all catalogues that come in the mail entitled “Williams Sonoma.” Failure to do so can be costly.

About 10 days ago on a Friday to be precise the new fall Williams Sonoma catalogue arrived in the mail. I should have known better than to leave it sitting on the kitchen counter, where it was quickly devoured up by Rick. After he looked at it I skimmed through it. For those of you not familiar with the Williams Sonoma catalogue it not only contains good food photography, which makes their cookware look incredible they also include recipes. Well I happened to notice a recipe for a beef pot pie that looked particularly enticing, because the crust had blue cheese rolled into it, and I am a huge fan of blue cheese. I commented to Rick on the recipe and how good I thought it looked. That was all the permission he needed to decide we needed to make the pot pie.

Now in order to properly make the pot pie, one must have the proper equipment, otherwise it just isn’t going to turn out right. What were we lacking? A small cast iron pot. One $179 cast iron pot later, we now had the proper equipment. Ingredients, stew meat, $4.17, blue cheese, $8.26 (granted it was two pounds and I only needed a small amount, but the best quality is at Costco, which is not known to sell in small quantities.) gold potatoes, $1.96, mushrooms $2.49, pearl onions $2.79, organic carrots, (Rick insisted I buy carrots with the tops on, and the only ones to be found were organic) $1.59 and Irish stout???? Now technically Irish stout is a dark beer, and in cruising the beer isle at my local supermarket, no dark beer was to be found. Apparently the alcohol content of dark beer is too high to be sold in the supermarket in Utah and it can only be purchased at the liquor store. Having Katie with me I elected not to go to the liquor store and instead opted to return to Williams Sonoma for a substitute suggestion. Well Williams Sonoma makes just the product for those who want to avoid the liquor store it is called Yankee Roast Base and set me back $16. (Liquor store probably would have been cheaper, but that is questionable, I do live in Utah and they tax the hell out of alcohol here.)



Here is the finished product.


Total investment in Beef and Stout Pie $216.26.

Cost of not having to cook Sunday dinner, and knowing my husband is making this just for me because he knew I would enjoy it=PRICELESS.

FYI: It was delicious, the crust with the blue cheese in it was to DIE for!!!!!

1 comments:

Arianne said...

I'd better not let Keith see this post, luckily we don't get that magazine at our house. . . but that does look yummy!