Monday, April 28, 2008

HEADLINE: First grade math stumps attorney/ judge

Canyon Crest Elementary School did not get the memo. My last math class was Math 110 at BYU, aka college algebra. I struggled through the class, spending more time studying for Math 110 than all of my other classes combined that semester. During the entire time I was in the class I kept asking myself “Why do I need this class?” (Other than the obvious that BYU said I had to have it to graduate.) By then I was planning on going to law school and had every intention of hiring an accountant to do any future math, so the concepts in Math 110 seemed like an incredible waste of my time. When the course was over I rejoiced in the fact that my days of studying math were completed. I figured that by the time my kids needed help with math, probably junior high/high school, I could subcontract the work.

Lauren’s teacher assigns a packed of math and Lauren is to do one to two pages every night. Now I consider myself to be a person of intelligence, not that I am genius, but I feel like having a college degree, surviving three years of law school and passing the bar generally demonstrates that I have some smarts. Apparently not when it comes to first grade math. Last Thursday night I became baffled by first grade math.

As you can see from the picture Lauren was to use pattern blocks to make a shape. Apparently there are 6 different ways to make the shape using three different types of shapes. I really could only figure out how to make the shape one way with each different shape. I did not understand if Lauren was to draw each way to make the shape or what exactly she was to do. I decided to admit my ignorance and write the teacher a note indicating that I am not smarter than a first grader.


NOTE TO SELF: Check Utah State Bar licensing requirements to ensure that successful completion of first grade math is not necessary to maintain status as a member in good standing.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Tiffany, I don't get it either ... don't feel bad.

Smullin Family said...

Please blog when the teacher gets back to you...I'm baffeled as well. :o)

Tiffany Hales said...

She circled the instruction that said "use pattern blocks" and told me I needed pattern blocks to complete the assignment. It still does not tell me how to complete the assignment and furthermore what in the world are pattern blocks and where in the world am I susposed to buy them. I don't recall seeing in on the school suply list.

Smullin Family said...

So, no sympathy from the teacher, eh? I bet they have some pattern blocks in their classroom. Maybe she could borrow some.