Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Are you smarter than a three year old?

My knee has still be bothering me and on Monday night I did not sleep very well. I determined that my lack of sleep did not make me safe to drive into work on Tuesday so I opted to work from home, which allowed me to pick up Mark from pre-school. Mark goes to pre-school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I drop him off before I go to work but I rarely get to pick him up. I had finished my work early so I thought it might be a good time to spend some one on one time with Mark. Mark loves to run errands with me and I needed to go to Walmart because I was getting low on a few essentials such as diaper wipes, and bottle liners. I also needed to go to Costso. I gave Mark the choice of which store to go to first and he picked Walmart. We pulled into the parking lot and I got out of the car. I opened Mark's door to unbuckle him and he said "I'm going to stay in the car." I said "Mark you wanted to go to Walmart and here we are lets go inside." To which he responded "No I am staying in the car." Again I said "Come one let's go inside." Again he said "I want to stay in the car." For those of you who know Mark he is stubborn, and I was weighing my options. I figured I could:

  1. Leave Mark in the car and lock the door. Potential outcome being either Mark figures out how to unlock the door and then who knows where he would go, or I could become one of those mothers I used to prosecute for leaving their children unattended in the car. (By the way I have a lot more sympathy for those mothers these days!)
  2. I could return home. Potential outcome, I would not get my errands done, and have to make a return trip to Walmart, which I was really wanting an afternoon nap due to my lack of sleep the night before.
  3. Opt for some type of bribery.

I am a horrible parent, I selected number three. I said "Mark did you know there is a McDonalds inside this Walmart." He responded "I want a cheese burger, lets go inside." Problem solved. For today I am smarter than a three year old, or am I?????

Postscript: Somewhere in the Universe my mother is taking a perverse delight in all of this.

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

I already know Mark is smarter than me! The things that kid comes up with. . .he knew that he just had to hold out in the car for a little while and he would get something out of the deal. He cracks me up!