Monday, March 1, 2010

Lexmark C510

Thanks to Jeron I have a really NICE printer. Although it was formally used for less than legal activities in my home it has been reformed and prints off Relief Society lessons, legal decisions, homework, coupons, and the occasional fun new recipe. That is until lately....

Part of Mark's therapy for his hands is to learn to use the mouse on the computer. Yes, yes I know I, I probably have the only five year old in America who I have had to force to use the computer to play video games. But he has become quite adapt at the mouse and playing video games and it has done wonders for his hand eye coordination. In fact now he willingly now plays on the computer for 30-40 minutes a day. The only problem the printer.....

Some how in all Mark's education on the computer he figured out how to print, and print he does. There is something magical and powerful about pressing the "print" button and then hearing the printer warm up, with fun and colorful documents coming forth.

Now if Mark only wanted to print a document or two a day I could live with that, but Mark's problem is his personal motto is "go big or go home." Mark prints to an excess, and with each color cartridge on this very NICE, but very expensive printer, costing me a cool $125 a piece, I am not in favor of excessive printing. At first I tried telling him that he could not print that many documents. Didn't work, he thought it was a suggestion, not a commandment. Then I yelled at him. Didn't work either, I was ignored. Finally I disconnected the printer from the computer. For the moment that seems to be successful, that is until he figures out how to reconnect the printer.

The only downside of this trick is that although the printer is disconnected, it still does not stop documents from being sent to the printer. If I reconnect the printer without first going into the control panel and clearing out documents sent to the printer, reconnection results in a whole host of unexpected documents coming forth from the printer. Saturday night I needed to print off my Relief Society lesson, and as I went into to clear out the printer, Mark had hit a new high in the number of documents he attempted to print, a mere 241.

Now the question is, how long am I going to be able to get away with my disconnect trick????

4 comments:

Arianne said...

oh my gosh, hilarious I love that Mark and his little schemes!

Jolee said...

My favorite part of this story is not the number of times that Mark prints... but the fond memories that it brought back to me of Jeron's not so legal activities. :)

Unknown said...

luckily there's a relatively easy way to curtail all that fun. You just have to install a dummy printer and make that the default printer in windows. Then when you go to print something you just scroll down the list of available printers to choose the lexmark each time.

Go to printers and faxes -> add a printer. The add printer wizard will come up. Click "next" and then uncheck the box that says "automatically detect and install my plug and play printer", making sure the button for "local printer attached to this computer" is still checked. Click next. Then by the button that says "use the following port", drop down the list to where it says "FILE: print to file" and choose that. Them on the next screen you can choose any printer model you want as the dummy, just make sure it is selected as the default and then keep pressing next to install the driver.

Problem solved for a while till he starts taking the paper out of the tray and marking it all up with crayons.

Lori said...

Okay...so you don't know me, but we're "practically family." I'm often caught blog stalking you @ my daughter,Jolee's, request. In between she sometimes reads aloud to me, as she's laughing over your posts. She called me today, while she was on break and suggested I read your blog to pass the time while my boss was gone. As always I found it very entertaining. I love all your crafts and your beautiful home. Your mom would be so proud! I feel like I know her via Jan Schlerf who knew her (Sorry! I don't know Jan's maiden name!) She's a big fan of Hertha's and was so excited to meet Cici when she was in Spokane. Thanks for everything you've done for Jolee~especially taking her to the MTC. I felt like a failure for not being there, but she insisted I not go & was glad to know she was in good hands. Thanks! Love, Lori