Sunday, December 13, 2009

Make up and other such things....

Somewhere in a trash can on the third floor of St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center lays the remains of my Saturday make up. It can be found on 27 tear stained Kleenex. (The good kind, with lotion of course.) It was never my intent to remove my make up in such a fashion, but life happens when you are making other plans.

On Saturday morning as I was putting on my make up, I reflected on the last 20 years of my life….and sat in awe at the things that have occurred, the people whose lives have changed me, the people whose lives I have changed, and all the experiences, and growth along the way. It is a story that if I had read it, surely it would be fiction.

December 13, 1989 I was crying my make up off for entirely different reasons. I had just finished Washington Seminar, which was the crowning jewel of my college experience. I was sad to leave a city that I had grown so fond of, and friends that had become so close. I returned home, not knowing that in a month’s time I would lose my mother to cancer, an event that would color the rest of my life, and impact me in ways I could not anticipate. An event that would force me to stretch and grow in new ways, an event that would set in motion the next 20 years of my life and prepare me for what was to come….

Over the course of that 20 years I would mature, I would grow, I would learn to love new people in new ways, and the life that existed for the first 22 years of my life would morph into a new life, one that often times I had difficulty recognizing, but eventually I would come to accept and find peace with, and continue to be at peace with as it evolved over the years. A new life that was rich and full, and new life where I learned to be comfortable in my own skin, a new life that also brought heartache and sorrow, with the promise of joy and peace. A new life that was mine.

With my make up done, and having waxed philosophical, I pressed forward with what I anticipated would be a challenging day, wondering why I bothered to even put my make up on, but realizing that by putting my make up on I was hoping that it would not come off, as opposed to resigning myself that it would.

I arrived at St. Alphonsus knowing my father’s health was critical. He was in ICU, fighting the systems in his body that were failing him. Deep in my heart I knew it was not a battle he would win…..and that he needed us to let him go, a realization we all knew.

Knowing my dad, we all knew that extra ordinary life saving measures would not be his wish. He would not want to stay trapped in body that had already betrayed him years ago. If it came to that point he would want to move on, a decision probably easier for him than for us.

We, being myself, Loretta, Jeron, Arianne, and Ciarran, gathered, all of us knowing what our cumulative decision would be. The medical staff removed the BiaPak that was forcing air down his lungs, allowing him to communicate more freely with us. Through his pain and struggling to breathe, he could hear us, he could respond to us, he could understand what we said and respond with a smile, or a blink of his eyes. Jeron said a few individual words, and then I spoke for us children as a whole, telling him what an incredible father he had been, how much we loved him and that he needed to tell mom what a good job he did raising us. With the mention of my mother his eyes opened widely. She was close, I knew it and he knew it, and everyone else in the room knew it. I thought of my mom often during the day, how she was waiting for him, how she would welcome him. Then I thought of my grandparents, his parents, and how excited they would be to see him and him to see them. I thought of the many others that were waiting for him. Then I thought of how much we would miss him in our lives. The emptiness that would be there. The feelings of loneliness and grief that would occupy that space in our hearts once filled by the moments of spending time with him. The change in our lives, that death inevitably brings. The close of one chapter, the opening of another.

After speaking collectively, we spoke individually and each had an opportunity to say good bye and tell him that we loved him. He in turn, although difficult, was able to tell us that he loved us. It was closure that none of us were able to have 20 years ago with our mother. Loretta got to express her love, tell him she forgave him for not keeping his promise of 30 years together, and kiss him good night. We then told stories and made him chuckle though struggling to breathe.

Finally it was time. Time to remove all artificial means of support, all medication, and just let nature take its course. Once the oxygen was turned off suddenly the room was quiet. I don’t think any of us realized how much noise the oxygen machine was making. But it was a good silence, a peaceful silence, a silence that gave all of us a moment or two to reflect in our own thoughts.

The morphine gave relief. Over the course of the next hour and a half he struggled, struggled for every breath. Dying is not easy, it’s a fight. The body instinctively wants to fight dying. Instinctively the body wants to live, even when every system is shutting down. He was hooked to machines that monitored his blood pressure, oxygen and heart rate. We all gathered around his bed. From my vantage point I could see the numbers of the machine. I could see the numbers drop as his body was finally giving in to what was occurring. His breathing was short breaths, and becoming more sporadic. The end was close. I called for the nurse. Eventually he stopped breathing and it took about a minute for his heart to flat line. We sat in pondered silence, each reflecting on our loss, his happy reunion, and what now lay ahead, both in the short term and the long term. But, ultimately thankful for the part that he played in our lives, the example that he was, but most of all grateful that he was our father and husband.

20 comments:

A*Waite said...

You and your family is in my prayers. I did not know your dad was ill. Please keep us posted with funeral arrangements.

Martha said...

Tiffany,
I didn't know about your dad. Thanks for writing this. I'm sure his reunion on the other side was a happy one. I'll be praying for you and your family.

angela said...

Tiffany thank you for this beautiful account of your Dad's death. Now I have tissues in the trash. I've been thinking about him all morning not knowing that he had passed away until I got home after church. He was a very patient loving man with big beautiful blue eyes. We were quite taken by him, those eyes and how handsome he was when he dated Hertha. Not to mention his blue convertible, which he gave we younger sisters a ride in.

We did harass them and tied tin cans on Noel's car, and sang "Now the date is Over", and the First Noel." Noel backed out heard the cans, and pulled them off, no signs of anger. We used to spy on them sitting in the convertible in the driveway, from the hatchery office.

I'm sorry for your loss, yet know he's in a better place free from pain greeted by Hertha, who has their mansion all decorated.

He has been so kind to Mom & Dad through the years, remembering them on special occasions. And quite sick himself he visited mother and took her to hearing aide appointments.

Yes, what a grand reunion it shall be on the other side.

I'm so glad all of you could be there and say good bye and express your love to you father our Uncle Noel.

Keep us posted on the funeral arrangements. Love Angela

nesquik405 said...

I'm so sorry, Tiffany. Thank you for telling us about his last hours.

Megan said...

So sorry for your family's loss, Tiffany. Your are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry Tiffany.

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

So grateful you wrote this, Tiffany. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the veil and witness the reunion.

I'm happy he was released from pain of his MD, happy the years weren't dragged out forever. Still, it's a change and i will really miss being around he & Loretta.

I hope you Hales kids can fit in some time with us Ison sisters this week. We need talk and cry therapy.

Give our love to Loretta.

Jana

Jolee said...

You are a beautiful writer. I am so sorry about your dad, but as you said, what a happy and blessed reunion that will be! You are all in my prayers. Love love love you!!

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

P.S. I'm printing your essay for Grandma Ison to read. She has been anxious all weekend to hear the details and to know he was allowed to go home.

jana

jwilson said...

Thank you for your beautiful account of your dad's last hours. I'm glad all of you kids could be with him. Oh, how I would love to know what is going on with him and Hertha now. Loretta, we love you. You have been a wonderful companion to Noel. All of you are in our prayers. We love you.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry Tiffany for you and your family. I did not know your father was so ill.....my thoughts and prayers go out to each and every one of you. Annette

Kevin said...

Thank you so much for the thoughts and the experience of your evening with Uncle Noel. Your Dad is a man of immense power and influence in my life. And the source of that power has always been his love. He is a man of opinions but a man who harbored no judgment of others.

In a conversation he and I had before your Mom's death he said how much he loved their ability to talk and share together. He said that is the greatest thing he would miss and he couldn't imagine there could be another person he could relate to with such openness, ease, trust and intimacy.

Some time later I had another conversation with him. He told me about his first dinner with Loretta. He told me how easy it was to talk to her; how they seemed to just be able to talk and share so comfortably and how surprising and how deeply satisfying it was to find that feeling a second time. He truly felt lucky and blessed to be Loretta's husband and have her love.

Loretta has been the very companion he, and I think she, needed. The peace and ease they have felt for each other has always extended beyond their relationship and rippled to those who shared their friendship.

It is said of Christ that "We love him, because he first loved us." It think the same thing can be said of Uncle Noel.

Tiffany, Jeron, Arianne, Ciarran, Steve, Shauna and Loretta, please know how much we love you. I am grateful Uncle Noel is able to live now without the constant pain his body has afflicted on him, but my heart feels sad for you and the temporary loss of his presence, his counsel, his listening ear, his understanding heart, his soft voice and his encircling arms. With you, I love him and will miss his constant encouragement that always made you feel better for having spent time with him.

Candice said...

My kleenex weren't close enough. My make up is on my sleeve. We love you and your family and are here for any help you need as you make the arrangements.

About Ours Good One Home said...

Oh Tiffany, another loss for you. I am so sorry. You and your family are in my prayers. Beautiful account.

J. Hales said...

Tiffany,

Thanks for sharing that with us. Our thoughts are prayers are with you and your family.

Jason & Shondelle

Smullin Family said...

Tiffany,
Thank you for sharing this with us. Such a vulnerable and personal thing to share.

I've been thinking and praying for your family. I ache for your loss. I'm so glad that each of you were able to talk to him, and he to you, before he passed. He will be missed.

What I remember about Uncle Noel...
We shared the same birthday. He had a kind, gentle way about him. He easily smiled. He always had the coolest "toys" or latest and greatest electronics. He seemed to be always helping or serving those around him. He owned and flew an airplane (right?). He seemed laid back and easy-going. He sat with his arm on the back of the chair, with one of his legs propped up on the knee of the other. He had distinctive, bright, blue eyes. He was warm and accepting.

I'm so glad that your mom, grandma and grandpas were there to meet him. I loved hearing about your mother's presence felt during those last few moments. What a sweet reunion! --Don't you think Grandpa Ison shook his hand and welcomed him to the "meeting"? I can almost hear him, "Welcome Noel. We're so glad that you could make it."

Continued prayers and thoughts.
Love, Alisha

Jen said...

Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for sharing such a tender moment in the beautiful way that you write. I felt like I was there with you as I read. What a wonderful gift that you were all able to be there with him and exchange such sweet words.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you sweet girl.

love,
Jen

KarenWaite said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings - truly touching. I'm so glad you were able to have those last moments with him.

Your family is in our prayers. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Brooke said...

Tiffany, That was beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. I am SO sad to hear about the loss of your dad. He was a great man and will be missed. I will always remember that every time I walked into a room where he was at, he would have a huge smile on his face and make you feel special and important. He will be missed. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Jared and Shelby said...

Holy smokes, it's hard to see the screen through my tears. I have been thinking of you soooo much. Jared and John both mentioned how touching your blog entry was and I finally was able to sit down and read it. You painted the picture so well and what a testimony to Heavenly Father's plan. I'm glad you could have that special time with your dad. We love you and want to see you more often!