Thursday, June 11, 2009

I have repented, kind of.....

Anyone who ever had any contact with my mother knew that sewing was her life, literally. I have many a fond memory as a child sitting her her sewing room watching her sew and just talking, watching TV, or bugging her. It was also in that same room that I learned to sew. Now learning to sew was not a "would you like to do this?" activity, it was a "you will do this" activity.

Because sewing was so important to my mother, when she was ill and questioning the length of her mortality, she made me promise that I would teach Arianne and Ciarran to sew. Well, what could I say??? Its not like you can tell a dying women, who entire life has been defined by this form of art, who wants to have her children follow in her footsteps, "no." So I gulped and said "yes."

However the years following my mother's death were not kind to my schedule. I was in graduate school, then a new lawyer, and single girl, and teaching my sisters to sew was not high on the priority list. Plus since they did not live with me, it had the added challenge of scheduling teenagers.....

Needless to say they did not learn how to sew from me. Now somewhere along the way Arianne managed to pick up that skill, I am sure I probably helped her here and there, plus she has a natural craft ability anyway. She is now quite skilled at sewing, as you can see from the cute aprons she made my kids. Ciarran, well that is another story. Lets just say she is a little craft challenged....

So for several years now I have feared the wrath of my mother on the other side of the veil, for not teaching my sisters how to sew. I figure I will be due a good "chewing" out to last 1000 years or so...

In order to pay penance for my prior sins, I have started to teach Lauren how to sew. I am hoping it will help commute my sentence with my mother....


Here is Lauren pinning her fabric together.

And here she is sitting at the sewing machine, ready to go.

I have to say I recall my frustration of the first time I sewed, and making the dang thing go straight. Kudos to Lauren, she must have gotten some added talent from my mother before traveling to planet earth, because she was actually quite good a sewing a straight line.

If I keep this up with her, I might actually be off the hook with my mother....



5 comments:

Lindsey said...

How fun to pass on that legacy. Your skirts are DARLING by the way. I might have to hire you to make one for Addie since she thinks everything Lauren does and has is the COOLEST thing ever!

Arianne said...

Look at her go, very impressive! did she have to sew on paper first?! I remember mom making me do that FOREVER and me getting very upset!

Ciarran said...

I could be making cute aprons and skirts right now...

Lora Dawn said...

Hm-m-m-m maybe one of the reunion "service projects" ought to be sitting Ciarran down at a sewing machine with her first cut out apron. Stitch a little, talk a little. How much torture can you tolerate, ciarran?

Smullin Family said...

It's not too late for you Ciarran..you guys could get together for a sister weekend/week and make cute aprons, skirts or whatever.

Good job teaching Lauren. I'm actually over at my mom-in-laws this week (Ogden) and she's doing mini sewing classes with my kiddos. Yesterday they made pillowcases, today we're working on drawstring bags and tomorrow pj bottoms. Woo-hoo! I'm sure you'll see a blog about it shortly. :o)