Sunday, June 22, 2008

Will he Ever Learn??????

Mark, upset after his fall, seeking comfort from his "little blanky."


When I was pregnant with Mark my OB/GYN recommend that I cease consuming diet coke because according to her studies show that drinking Diet Coke when pregnant can stunt the brain development of the baby. Well never being one to unquestionably follow a doctor’s advice I continued to consume Diet Coke. Plus generally speaking I thought my doctor was full of crap. She never bothered to listen to me, so I afforded her the same courtesy.

When Mark was born and they measured the girth of his head the pediatrician was astonished at its size. It was so large it was not even on the growth chart. (Imagine how large it would have been if I actually followed the doctor’s advice) Mark’s head continued to grow at an astounding rate and to this day it is not on the chart and is bigger than Lauren’s. My pediatrician has reassured me that studies have proven that children with exceptionally large heads really do have more brains and are smarter children. Now generally speaking I would agree with my pediatrician because if you have every carried on a conversation with Mark it is immediately clear that he functions on another level. However that being said, the part of his brain that governs self destructive behavior has been misfiring.

His newest thing is to “jump” while going down stairs. He has been doing it all week. Usually he falls a step or two, but tonight he came tumbling all the way down the stairs, landing on the hardwood floor. This was the second time today he fell to the bottom while engaging in his latest adventure. You would think that one bad fall would cure him of wanting to continue to literally “jump” down the stairs, but no he still wanted to test his ability. I guess maybe I should have taken it easy on the Diet Coke.

1 comments:

Smullin Family said...

It must just be a BOY thing. I wonder about my boy too. Why do they do what they do????

Quote from Rylee's 5th grade teacher: "1 boy has 1/2 a brain and 2 boys have 0 brains."