Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Land of the Rising Sun.

Phoenix did not disappoint in the HOT category, the shopping category, or the mom time off category. It was a balmy 103-108degrees while I was there. The good news was that the conference was air conditioned, and so was my room. The nights were delightful. We stayed at a resort, and they had a bank of rooms for our group surrounding the pool, with each room having patio access to the pool. They did this so we could be self contained, and they would not receive complaints from the other guests about the noise. There is nothing quite like government employees with an average age of 50, who hit the hospitality suite at 5:00 p.m. for all the free alcohol they can consume. I must add my room was right across from the hospitality suite for the conference, and on Wednesday the only thing you need to know 2:00 a.m. I did not even have to leave my room to enjoy the entertainment, all I had to do was sit on my patio.

My Macy’s card got a workout, under the guise I am doing consumer research for Macy’s. Last month I wrote a letter to Macy’s letting them know that I was dissatisfied with their selection in their Utah stores. I have a meeting in July with a big mucky-muck. I took lots of pictures of fashionable, relevant, and trendy clothes I saw in their stores in Arizona so I can hopefully encourage them to improve their Utah stores. Will update in July on my success or failure.

The mom time off was the best. I felt slightly guilty, but not really, after all it was work related. When I got up in the morning, the only person I was responsible for getting dressed and fed was ME!!! At 5:00 p.m. when the conference session was over for the day I could do ANYTHING I wanted to do! The best part, FIVE days of uninterrupted time in the bathroom.

At home I have ceased being able to pee and poop in private. It is a public event in my house. No sooner do I head to the bathroom when one, two or all three of my children feel the need to follow me and engage in deep meaningful conversation while I try to take care the demands of my bladder and intestines. These conversations that require immediate attention are, what are we having for dinner, can I have a snack, can I invite a friend over, when are we going to_____ (fill in the blank), _____(fill in the blank) is being mean to me, hitting me, touching me, looking at me, thinking about me, etc. None of these important issues can wait the mere two to three minutes it will take me to relieve myself. I have tried locking the door, but they are fast, and beat me to the bathroom knowing they will have my undivided attention. On the rare occasion that I do successfully lock the door it results in crying by the locked out party, in addition to loud banging on the door, leaving me to question if it is easier to lock them out or allow them in?

So for five days I was able to sit in the bathroom and ponder my own meaningful thoughts such as I wonder what they will have for lunch today, will there be cookies at the afternoon break, do I have any friends to sit by during the conference, and when will the session be over so I can _____(fill in the blank). Nothing quite like a vacation……

1 comments:

About Ours Good One Home said...

You are a hoot. I want to know more about your interaction with Macy's!