Friday, August 27, 2010

Fabric Flowers

Recently I have been inspired by fun fabric flowers, and decided to try my hand at making some. I started with a trip to the fabric store in search of polyester fabric. I bought a 1/4 of a yard of different types and colors of polyester fabric.

I found circle objects (lids, cups) to use for a pattern for my petals.
I used the flame of the candle to melt the edges of the material.
By melting the edges it resulted in the circles curling, making my circles really looking like petals. (Note, not all polyester fabric had edges that melt really well. The cheaper the fabric, the better the fabric melts and curls with the heat, who knew???!!)

After I melted all my edges, then I put my flower pedals together and hand sewed them together in the center.


Then the fun began! I hot glued all sorts of embellishments to the center of the flowers.

I used jewel glue to glue on a clip. I wanted to use a flat clip so that the flowers could either be worn in the hair or pinned onto an article of clothing.

I took this flower and pinned it to one of my necklaces.

This flower I pinned on a dress.

Finally here is the flower in Lauren's hair.

3 comments:

Ciarran said...

I hope you are bringing some to Idaho to share with your sisters...

Megan said...

Those are adorable! Gonna have to try making some! Thanks for sharing :)

Lora Dawn said...

I love those!