Monday, August 9, 2010

Dog Pile!

On Friday afternoon my friend Darrin called me up and asked what we were doing for the weekend. I told him not much, and that it was actually going to be a quiet weekend. He asked if he could come down from Idaho, because he had a buddy headed my way and was going to hitch a ride with him. I invited him to join our craziness.

On Saturday morning I sprung on him that I had to go to a bridal shower and asked if he could stay with the kids for a few minutes while I went to wish the bride well, and drop off my SUPER CUTE gift. (Yes you can expect a blog post on my creative endeavors on behalf of the bride.) He agreed. I came home to find my children dog piling with him.



Buried under the pile of pillows somewhere is Lauren.

Then it was time to emerge.

And emerge some more....

Then Katie had to have her turn at the bottom of the dog pile. The whole thing of course ended up in a big pillow fight, until someone got pushed too hard with a pillow and crying ensued.
Darrin was seriously a good sport. After the dog pile incident, I hauled him, with the kids in tow, to Winco, Costco, and JoAnns. Then when we got home the kids took him on a 45 minute walking tour of the neighborhood, and I made, or rather asked him to change my furnace filters. But the real kicker was on Saturday night I drug him to Jeff and Linda's house for a BBQ to celebrate Jeff's birthday, and he got to meet some of Rick's family. I think it played with his mind a bit that I am as close to Rick's family post divorce as I was pre-divorce, and would willingly choose to hang out with them. (FYI, Rick is out of the country, so at least he dodged that bullet!)
So now Darrin know what "quiet" weekend is at my house...and what it means when I say "we don't have much going on this weekend..."
(Apparently I did not do a very good job of scaring him off, because he is planning on returning next weekend with his kids. Actually he has been planning on coming down this next weekend for quite some time, I just got a bonus weekend, a week earlier!)





2 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like a good guy :-)

angela said...

Keep us posted. This could get interesting.
Where is Rick out of the country? I sent you an e-mail. Did you get it?