Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Other worthy notes from kindergarten registration:

Note 1:

After the whole shot debacle, I was reviewing the paperwork given to me at the same time I received all the registration forms. Contained in that paperwork was a list of shots the children needed to have prior to kindergarten. Now I ask you this question: If the school expects me to show up to kindergarten registration with all the necessary shots completed, why is this paper necessary? Or in the alternative, should I not have been given this paper PRIOR to kindergarten registration? Don’t answer either question, it will frighten you regarding the competency of the school system….

Note: 2

The lesson I have learned from registering two children for kindergarten is that in three years when it is time to register Katie for kindergarten I am going to take the form I am required to fill out pertaining to shots and indicate that Katie has not received any shots due to “personal reasons” (believe it or not that is an option) therefore hopefully avoiding the entire shot debacle a third time. Of course this does not mean Katie will not get her shots, I am a firm believer in shots and she will be current, but I am NOT telling that to the school. I believe a few minutes of lecturing from the school nurse will be far worth avoiding the shot jumping hoops I have been forced to endure with the first two children.

Note 3:

Despite the hard core stance the school takes on shots it is apparently quite lax on proof regarding the birth of your child. It is recommended that you bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate, but if for some reason it is unavailable, can’t locate it, don’t want to recall the birth of your child, etc, you can provide an LDS “Certificate of Blessing” as proof that your child was born prior the cutoff date for registering for kindergarten. Don’t know for sure if they will accept blessing or baptism certificates from other religious denominations…..after all it is Utah County…..

Note 4:

I told Mark that he would be in morning kindergarten, because apparently there are enough children for two morning classes, but not enough for an afternoon class. (Don’t ask me why they just don’t have one teacher do a morning and afternoon class, rather than two teachers doing two different morning classes, I am sure given how logically things are run at the school there is a very good reason for that…) I honestly preferred morning kindergarten, figuring I could drop him off with Lauren, who could ensure he got into the school and at least headed down the hall to his class room, and then at noon I could pick him up. Well apparently I did not clear my plans with Mark because he wanted afternoon kindergarten so he could ride the bus home with Lauren. He told me in no uncertain terms “ I want to ride the bus, I don’t want an old person picking me up from kindergarten!” Yeah I am having a good week…..

2 comments:

Brooke said...

The "old" person comment is so funny!!!

We are not that old. Just yesterday we were 21, perky, and hot...

Now I don't know about you but I feel old, my boobs sag, and I have wrinkles on my forehead and eyes. What happened?

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Smullin Family said...

I too had similar experiences getting kiddos registered for kindergarten. Why do they make it so difficult?

Accepting of a Blessing Certificate has got to be a Utah County thing...doesn't work here in Idaho...I've tried. Treyson was almost kicked out for not having birth certificate proof.

The "old person" comment caught me off guard and made me laugh. I can't believe some of the things he comes up with. :o)