Wednesday, April 29, 2009

If you can't brag about your friends, who can you brag about?

Once upon a time in a land known as BYU I met Anne. We both went on Washington Seminar together, and had all sorts of ambitions about avoiding becoming "Molly Mormons" as we were going to conquer the world of politics and put our smarts to good use. Well upon graduation I conquered the land of law school and Anne conquered the land of Arizona, if if you are familiar with the politics in that state, you know that is no small feat.

Eventually in time we both gave in to our inner "Molly Mormon" and got married. As time passed there was a little less conquering in the law/political world, and a little more conquering in the mom world, as small children have forced both of us to tackle dirty diapers, messy houses, toilet training, temper tantrums, and loads of laundry.

But time has not diminished our friendship, and whether it is days, weeks or months since I talked to Anne, when I pick up the telephone it seems just like yesterday.

Well around Lauren's baptism a package arrived in the mail with Anne's return address. I was surprised because I had not been expecting anything. I opened the package and realized it was for Lauren. When Lauren came home from school I allowed her to complete the opening of the package.

This is what the package contained. A quilt. A warm quilt. A comforting quilt. A quilt made by a friend whom I cherish. Lauren loved it. She has slept with it every night since its arrival from Arizona.

She even found fabric with baptism, temples and families. It could not have been more wonderful.
As for me I was speechless. First, that Anne would take the time to make this quilt. I know the demands of her time, because they are like the demands on my time. That she would sacrifice her time to make my daughter happy, speaks to me volumes about the love and friendship we share. Second, I was surprised Anne made it. In college I seemed to be the more domestic of the two of us, but apparently Anne was keeping her talents hidden under a rock, to be pulled out at just the right time to bring a smile to Lauren's face. I guess you can run, but never hide from your inner "Molly Mormon." And that is a good thing.


3 comments:

Martha said...

Friends are so wonderful, aren't they?

Arianne said...

that is adorable, who knew that they made temple flannel, wow!

Brooke said...

That's right, let us Molly Mormons unite!!! Anne that is a beautiful quilt, such talent!!!