Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Oh, yeah I am mother of the year...

Breakfast at my house is not HOT, nor will it ever be. Much like my mother, I detest mornings. No matter how early I go to bed I am still tired. I have never understood those who wake up in the morning feeling refreshed...I wake up feeling tired, and wanting to return to the warmth and comfort of my bed as soon as possible.



I go through the motions in the morning, the motions of waking my children up, fixing them breakfast, bathing them, dressing them, and getting them off to school or Grandma's house, all before the ungodly hour of 9:00 a.m. Generally I am about half asleep when all of this activity takes place. Which is precisely why I don't use any appliance involving gas or electricity in the morning, it could be very dangerous. Hence the cold breakfast served to my children. (Hot breakfast is a dinner item)



This is my cereal cupboard. Note the variety. Each child will go through a period of time where only one particular cereal is acceptable, until said child is sick of that cereal and moves on to a new choice. The problem becomes when two children choose the same cereal, because of course eating cereal must be accompanied by looking at the back of the box.



Now here is where you should call child protective services. This is the current selection of sugar cereal in my cupboard. Yes, its true I allow my children to each sugar cereal for breakfast. Is it healthy, of course not, (but I do make them use milk, so its not a total nutritional loss), does it taste good, you bet. Do my children think I am the coolest mom ever, of course. Do their teachers hate the sugar high I send them to school with, no doubt. I am going to change anytime soon, probably not.


Just to show that my cupboard is not a complete and total nutritional loss, I do have a few healthy choices, not that my children have ever eaten any of these.....


Finally I blame my mother for the unhealthy choices of cereal I allow my children to eat. I was denied as a child the opportunity to eat yummy cereal, and have hence not followed her example.



4 comments:

Martha said...

I didn't get yummy cereal as a child either...always oatmeal, cracked wheat, or cream of wheat! The only time we got cold cereal was on Sunday mornings...usually chex, cheerios, or wheaties. (We added our own sugar, of course!)Our moms are definitely related!

just me said...

You rock Tiffany! Us non-early risers need to stick together! Just so you know, I was raised on sugary cereals, and continue to have them every morning for breakfast (that or Carnation Instant Breakfast) and I think I turned out pretty well!

Arianne said...

it doesn't matter, because like Martha, I remember dumping a whole load of sugar on the non-sugar cereals that mom gave us, so you're just saving an extra step! Not only will you be known as the cool mom, but the cool aunt, Kallie is going to be loving your yummy cereal selection when we come!

Smullin Family said...

Ya, my mom is related to your mom too. We did have cold cereal, mostly generic Cheerios with an occasional puffed rice or puffed wheat. (Although now I think she enjoys her "Marshmallow Maties".)

Jason grew up on sugared cereals and has had an influence on my cereal shopping. I go back and forth on sugar and no sugar. Seems like the sugared cereals are cheaper, so it's hard for me to buy healthy. So sad.

I'm with you on the "non-early riser" club. I HATE getting up early and don't understand people feeling refreshed either. I feel a "connection" to your mom in this way and have thought of her often a late night. :o)

FYI- I am now at the stage in my life that my kids can get themselves up, get dressed and get their own breakfast, in the morning. YEA! I love it! I get to stay in my warm bed and listen to them quarrel. :o)