Monday, February 16, 2009

Build a Bear

Starting from about the age of three Lauren "begged" me to let her do Build-a-Bear. I told her she had to be five before she could make a bear. Well her 5th birthday came and she reminded me of my promise. Well that was three years ago, and every year since then she has managed to con me into a Build-a-Bear as part of her birthday gifts. This year was no exception.

Since Lauren's birthday fell on a Sunday we decided to build the bear, the day before, which was February 14, aka Valentines day. We have always built her bears on on birthday, never the day before. Apparently building a bear is a popular choice for Valentines Day, who knew???

Courtney and Linda joined us. Courtney had never built a bear before so she got to join in the fun.

When we arrived the line was out the door literally. By the time I took this photo we were about half way through the line. We waited 45 minutes to even begin the building process. Normally a line like this would have sent me into a panic attack and I would have said "forget it" but in light of the fact that was for my first born, I decided to suffer...., as if I did not suffer enough giving birth to her!

Katie was with us for Build-a-Bear fun, so of course she had to get a bear too. Due to the length of the line there was plenty of time to pick out the bear and change our mind about a dozen times. She finally did settle on this one, it was pink and very soft.

Here are the choices Lauren and Courtney made. Lauren chose the Hannah Montana bear, and Courtney chose a soft brown bear with a cute red heart.

Once the bear has been selected it must be stuffed. Notice Lauren is standing on the pedal which blows stuffing into the bear. You can control putting in as little or a much stuffing as you want.

Katie was not understanding the concept of stepping on the pedal to make the stuffing go in, and apparently she was not the first child this concept was lost on because out came a device where you push a button to make the stuffing go in. Button pushing is a concept Katie understood, and alas her bear was stuffed.

After the bear is stuffed, a heart goes in the bear, before it is sewn shut. Here is Katie putting the heart into her bear.

Next its on to washing and fluffing the bear, which is done with high powered air and a brush.

Being the fashion queen that she is, Lauren believes no bear is complete without an outfit. Purple of course!

Katie decided her bear would be an "in the buff" bear and did not make an outfit selection. Probably better, I am sure bears are like Barbies, who never seem to wear any clothes.

Finally the bear must be born with an official name and birth certificate.

Yippee we finished and everyone was very happy with their new bears.

Katie was not about to give up her box or her bear. She demanded to be holding it, even though it was almost as big as she is.


Building a bear is hard work, Katie and Lauren passed out on the ride home. Bears in hand.

3 comments:

angela said...

Thanks for all the details on how to make a bear.. I'm so informed now. Cute picture where they are sleeping with the bears.

Smullin Family said...

Wow, what a nice mommy you are. I don't know if I would have waited in line for so long. My kids would have had the choice of another day or another option.

We too have been to Build-a-Bear..it's so fun for kiddos. I LOVE all the little miniature outfits. They are so detailed and so much like a "real" outfits.

Because of the big price tags, our bears have only had the "bear necessities"...until recent. Stay tuned to my blog for more info. :o)

Arianne said...

What cute sisters!! I can't wait to get my hands on Katie, she is ADORABLE!