Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Rant.....

Normally on Friday Mark rides the bus home from school. His school is on the other side of town, so its almost an hour ride for him. Rick was planning on taking the kids this weekend to Fort Collins to visit his sister Jenni, and did not want to wait the extra hour that it would take Mark to come home on the bus. So I decided to pick Mark up from school.

I could not recall if he got out at 1:15 or 1:30 on Friday, because again, I am not really concerned with when he gets out, I just know what time the bus drops him off. I called the school to find out what time he got out so that I could be there on time.

The receptionist answers the phone and I explain that my son is in Kindergarten and I needed to know what time he was released from school, so I could pick him up. The receptionist, (this is the regular receptionist, not a substitute) pauses for a minute and tell me she does not know what time the kids get out of school, and wants to transfer me to the classroom to speak with the teacher. I explain to her I don't want to talk to his teacher, I just want to know what time school gets out and that as a receptionist this seems to be a pretty basic questions she should know the answer too. She places me on hold while she "checks," and then comes back a few minutes later and informs me school gets out at 1:15.

SERIOUSLY???!!!!

You work as the school receptionist and you don't know what time school gets out? Why is this women employed? Does she not know the national unemployment rate is 9.7% and in the state of Utah its 7.2%? On a daily basis I see a whole lot of competent people who would LOVE to have her job, and would probably be able to answer a simple questions like "What time does school get out?"

1 comments:

Carol said...

I thought that you were going to say that he had already gotten on the bus by the time you got to the school because the secretary told you the wrong time.
When my son was in middle school at Farrer, he had an orthodontist appointment shortly after school got out one day. I reminded him in the morning that I would pick him up after school so he wasn't to ride the bus home that day. I arrived at the school before school got out and was waiting and watching for him. Apparently he forgot and got on the bus so I had to drive back home and get him and then drive back across town to the orthodontist. Needless to say we were late for his appointment.