Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Highlighters.

For those of you curious about how I spend my time when I am not being a mom, or crafting up some cute new project, I do actually have a job, as in a job where they expect me to use my vast array of legal knowledge for the betterment of mankind, or at least for those who have filed for unemployment insurance benefits in the state of Utah.

This used to be a nice cushy job, back when the unemployment rate was less than 3%. But now with an unemployment rate approaching 7% its a little more demanding.

These are my case scheduled for this week. I have 38 for those of you counting. Which is four less than the 42 I had the week before, and two less than the 40 I had the week before that. Each case has a transcript of the hearing, the exhibits from the hearing and the written arguments submitted on appeal. Justice demands that I read all this material. (Law school did not do my eyes in, but the last year on this job sure has...I know I am headed to the eye doctor soon, can't hardly see a blasted thing anymore.)

With all that reading, comes a lot of note taking, but more than note taking comes highlighting. As a result I am consumer of highlighters. Trust me, you will never find anyone that highlights more on a weekly basis than me. I have been down the school supply isle, I have tried them all, and my recommendation is any highlighter that is in liquid form. The color is vivid, it does not dry out, and you know when your highlighter is out of highlight. This is the "house" brand from Staples, retails for $3.99 a pack. Sharpie also makes a liquid highlighter that comes in a bevy of colors, however their highlighters for a similar pack retails at $6.99. I have used both and there is no measurable difference in the quality between the two products.

So the next time you are looking to highlight important information that must be easily recalled, liquid I say, liquid is the way to go.

2 comments:

angela said...

Thanks for the high- light advice

Lora Dawn said...

I've never tried a Liquid highlighter - - - but I will now.