Friday, February 12, 2010

Celebrate LOVE!

At Christmas time I took a very large wreath that hung over my fireplace and moved it to my guest bedroom to make way for a Christmas picture I had. I decided I really liked the wreath in my guest bedroom, and did not want to move it again. This left an empty space above my fireplace.

When I put up my Valentine decorations, the empty space became very obvious. I needed something fun and fanciful in the space, but I also did not want to spend a lot of money.

I started out with a plain wood frame, a mat, and I purchased a gift bag to use for the background because it had the print I wanted. I had some coordinating scrapbook paper.


I painted the frame black.

I cut the gift bag up and used it behind the mat. I used my Cricut to cut out hearts, added a little glitter to "bling" them out, and I ended up with a really cute and inexpensive piece of art to fill up my empty space. (The picture really does not do it justice. I couldn't get a decent picture because the light kept reflecting off all my "bling")


I also decided my mantle needed some more fun decor, in the form of wooden blocks.
I painted the blocks black.

Then I added scrapbook paper, and used some fun embellishments to finish them off.

I also used my Cricut to cut out some of the embellishments.

Finally I found this kit that you could make these cute decorations. Best part it was 40% off and the paper in the kit coordinated with the paper I purchased for my blocks.

Finally, here is the overall look, I am very happy with how it turned out!

3 comments:

Smullin Family said...

I LOVE it!
I've been trying to figure out what to do with my mantle, for Valentine's Day. I feel like the decorations I have, are too small in scale for it. Maybe some large wooden "love" blocks would do the trick.

Sue Jackson said...

I can't wait to see them in person and to make some! Everything turned out so, so cute!!!

Arianne said...

so so so stinkin cute!