Monday, February 22, 2010

Color me mine!

The rule in our house is every other year you get to have a "friend" birthday party. Technically this year was Lauren's year for a friend birthday party. However she had other plans.....

Lauren has been wanting to go to this place called "Color me mine." Its a place where you paint ceramics and then pick them up in a few days once they have been fired in the kiln. She wanted to do this activity with me, Linda and Courtney.

Well whom am I to tell my child "no" on her birthday? Besides soooooo much easier than planning and executing a children's birthday party. Although not necessarily cheaper....the experience set me back $77. I assumed we would just pay for our ceramics and included in that price would be the paint cost and the cost of the kiln firing. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Noooooo, you pay for your overly marked up ceramic, and in addition you have a studio fee of $8.00 per person for the privilege of sitting in their business, using their paints, and having them fire your art project in their kiln. Alright enough about the price, after all it was Lauren's birthday and it was about the experience.

Lauren carefully selected her paint.
Lauren and mommy, before we started painting!


Linda, the perfectionist, making sure her mug is "just right."


Lauren and Courtney


Our semi-finished products, prior to the kiln firing. Linda did the mauve mug, Courtney did the black and white mug, Lauren did the cupcake and mine is the vase.


Alas, after spending time roasting in the kiln, here is the finished product. Look what wonderful artists we are! Best part of not having to host a birthday party, and best part of this experience, NO CLEAN UP. On that note alone, my money was very well spent.



4 comments:

About Ours Good One Home said...

So, the crafts are very cute, but your hair is fabulous!

Smullin Family said...

Wow...you guys are professionals! The one time I did it, my plate looked good going in and came out looking funky..I didn't like it. I've been wanting to do it again ever since, to make up for my funky plate.

Lora Dawn said...

Oh the magic of seeing how the shiny glaze turns out. Loved your results.

angela said...

I think this sounds much more fun than planning a party