Thursday, October 22, 2009

What ever will I eat???

After the posts regarding my trip to China you may be asking yourself, "will Tiffany be on a seven day diet?" I mean if I don't like the Americanized version of Chinese food, clearly the real thing will simply not be acceptable. So for that reason I am offering a sneak peak into the contents of my suitcase.....


Sugar and Diet Coke, the two main food groups as far as I am concerned. Ok, I realize it is not realistic, nor healthy for me to live on candy and Diet Coke for a week, so the travel agent has assured me I will not starve. The hotel is an American hotel that offers a breakfast buffet that has both Chinese and American food, so I know at least my day will start off with something palatable, I think...... Lunch is authentic food, so I will be eating a power bar for that meal, and dinner is on our own. I have been told that Beijing has sufficient McDonald's, KFC and even a Hard Rock Cafe, so that I will not be completely without substance for the week.

I do have to admit I was seriously pondering bringing my own Diet Coke. When I asked the travel agent about the availability of Diet Coke in China he told me Diet Coke was available, but it was laced with soy sauce. I think he was kidding....? The weight restrictions of my suitcase have forced me to forgo my plans to smuggle in the "good" Diet Coke. Plus I have to admit I am a little freaked out that it would explode in the cargo hold and then I would have Diet Coke covered clothing, and well as much as I like Diet Coke, I want to drink it, not wear it.

1 comments:

About Ours Good One Home said...

Perhaps I should keep this to myself, but one thing I discovered in Indonesia was that the chain restaurants don't always use the same recipes in foreign countries. And they certainly have different standards for food handling and such. And their cattle don't necessarily eat what our cattle are eating. So it tastes very different. Just a heads up. Good luck. You like rice, right?