Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fly me away.

The trip began with my arrival at the SLC airport at 3:30 p.m. for my 5:00 p.m. flight to Phoenix. As I approached the ticket counter I assumed that since I was flying internationally self serve was probably not an option, yet to the self serve I was directed. I explained that I was traveling internationally and the ticket agent instructed me to use the self serve. Of course my flight was not located and he asked me where I was traveling, I responded “Beijing.” A silent pause on the part of the ticket agent and I said “you asked.” He agreed that he did indeed ask. Finally he was able to locate my reservation, however because of the length of my travel he could not book me all the way to Beijing and could only get me to Seoul, and recommended that once I arrived in LA to have the ticket agent there complete the booking rather than trying to communicate in Seoul my desire to travel to Beijing. Apparently he could detect my lack of language and communication skills.



A before shot...(that is before a 25 hour trip to China)


On to the first segment of my flight… I would like to personally thank the airlines for the decision to charge for checked baggage. What is the result? A nightmare boarding. When my row was called to board I was Johnny on the spot, because dang it I need space for that all important carry on. When I arrived at my designated row I discovered many empty seats, but the overhead bins for the five rows ahead of me and the five rows behind me were FULL. I tried rearranging, to no avail. I finally decided my carry on was the flight attendant’s problem. Should have cleared that with her first…I told her I could not find a spot for my carry on and she told me that if it did not fit in an overhead bin I would have to check it to my final destination. I explained my final destination was Beijing, and checking it to my final destination was not an option. Again I was met with resistance and told that she could not move around luggage in the overhead compartment and I would have to check it to my final destination. Just to make herself sound more official she threw in the threat of FAA regulations for good measure. (Apparently she missed in my bio that I teach Aviation Law…) Now I was not about to check my overhead with all my medications and $3,500 worth of electronic equipment to Beijing. I again explained I had a several long flights and I had medication in my carry on that I needed and checking it was simply not an option. By this time things began to escalate between myself and the flight attendant, because we clearly had differing views on the fate of my carry on. Finally a passenger agreed to move his backpack from the overhead bin and place it under his seat, hence making room for my carry on. First crisis adverted… NOTE TO SELF: Give extra credit to any student who can successfully persuade the airlines to do away with their checked luggage charge.


Security line in LA for international flights.


In LA I met up with Julie and we proceeded to the ticket counter to obtain boarding passes for our overseas travel. Now the point of this trip was vacation with my friend, something that was clearly lost on the travel agent, because he booked me sitting in row 14 and Julie sitting in row 22. How that is considered traveling together seems a little puzzling to me? (More on the woes of the travel agent later….might be a blog post in and of its self…) The best the ticket agent could do was two middle seats behind each other. Yes, that’s right I sat in a middle seat in the middle of the airplane for the 13 hour flight from LA to Seoul. For those of you who would like the effect of being run over by an 18 wheel truck without the physical damage, fly 13 hours in a middle seat of a large airplane bound for a foreign country. And for added measure, do it during the time you normally sleep. I did use my friend Ambien, however my sleep was only what I considered to be “junk” sleep. I never did get very relaxed. Plus the unlike American flight crews who cannot be bothered to provide service, the flight attendants of Asian airline provided too much service, starting with the service of a steak dinner shortly after takeoff. Only problem, take off was 12:20 a.m. Who eats steak at 2:00 a.m.? Apparently I do. Being afraid of how long it might be before I saw edible protein again, I ate my steak. Then breakfast came a few hours later…..

Check out the flight attendant hats for our crew! Very retro.


Thirteen hours in the airplane left me tired, with a headache, and ready to hurl at any moment. Korea seemed like a welcome relief, just to be out of the airplane. Now other tours I have traveled on provide either a guide to help you through the airport, or explicit instructions. Again travel agent fell short on both accounts. By our wit and charm Julie and I managed to navigate ourselves to the gate. With time to spare we decided to treat ourselves to McDonalds, absent Diet Coke…. (Travel agent BIG FAT LIAR about the availability of Diet Coke).

This was the McDonalds drink fountain in Seoul. Do you see any Diet Coke????


Yummy American breakfast in Seoul.


On to Beijing. For this flight the flight attendants thought we would enjoy a meal of beef and rice, with a side of broccoli. Only problem it was 9:00 a.m…… Just the smell nearly made both Julie and sick….Haven’t these people heard of Cheerios?????


Feeling the need to relieve myself upon my arrival at the Beijing airport, this was the first bathroom stall I encountered…..uh NO.

Again Julie and I were left to navigate ourselves from the gate, to the luggage claim, (FYI, luggage made it to China, even though by this time owner of the luggage was questioning if she wanted to be in China.) through quarantine, and customs. By now we had identified others on the tour by the same bewildered look on their faces.

Finally at the exit we see the first signs of an organized tour with sign for our tour group. We boarded the bus for our first sights of Beijing.


An after shot....(that is after 25 hours of travel to China)


Check out my swollen feet and legs!



4 comments:

Arianne said...

Oh my goodness, I just got done reading it all. So fun to hear all about it, I can't wait to talk to you!

Ciarran said...

I'm so glad you're back! You can't ever go that long without blogging again!

Jennifer Kate said...

I'm so glad it got better for you. What an experience! And I'm lusting after your purchases!

Enjoying your own bed/bathroom/food much?

Tiffany Hales said...

I love my house, I love my bed, and I really, really, really love the food in America!!!!