Thursday, July 16, 2009

Potato Salad

There are two things that remind me of summer, my parents homemade vanilla ice cream, always a 4th of July treat, and my Grandma Hales' potato salad, usually served on memorial day, 4th of July and Labor Day.

In my mind there is nothing quite like homemade potato salad. The store bought stuff just flat out lacks flavor. I will not even touch it.

When my grandmother passed away, I was lucky enough to skor her recipe, written in her own hand writing. When ever I see the recipe and her writing, it reminds me of her kitchen, with the red counter tops, the yellow appliances, and funky 60's something or another that was in the wall, that I never could figure out what it was....
For the 4th of July I volunteered to make potato salad. Primarily because I had been craving it. As much as I like homemade potato salad, IT IS A LOT OF WORK.

You have to start with boiled potatoes, diced. (Hence the name potato salad)

Then you add the hard boiled eggs, diced too.

Some green onions for flavor.

The secret sauce, Miracle Whip, sweet pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper. Results = one yummy potato salad.

5 comments:

Leah said...

Nothing beats a great yummy potatoe salad. In the beginning of my pregnancy, when I was so yucky, I craved potatoes because they would stay down and fill me up. So my great step-mom made a batch just for me. Defiently comfort food for me.

Brooke said...

Oh, I miss Grandma Hales house and all the family get-togethers our families had! I forgot about the famous potatoe salad! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Arianne said...

yum, I'm so excited you posted this recipe!

John and Melanie Gray Hales said...

What we would like is a copy of the original handwritten recipe. We'll frame it and hang it on our "Wall of Fame"

Smullin Family said...

This makes me hungry. Now I'm craving potato salad...yummy!