Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Adventures in parenting.

For Father's day weekend, Rick requested a trip to Lagoon with the kids. We arrived on a VERY busy Friday evening for our fun filled amusement park outing. We rode rides, we ate dinner, and navigated hordes of people. As things were winding down, Rick went to get the kids treats before we left. I took Mark and Lauren to the bathroom so we would not have to have any potty calls on the way home. We went into the bathroom, Lauren went into her own stall and Mark and I went into another stall. Mark took care of business first and then it was my turn. Right before I began to take care of business, I noticed the TP was empty. Now I refuse to "drip dry" so I told Mark we had to find another stall. Found another stall, but Mark refused to come in with me because had had already taken care of business. I told Mark to wait outside the stall for me. He dutifully stood right by the door where I could see his feet. I took my eyes off his feet for 5 seconds in order to complete my business, and those feet disappeared.

I open the door and looked for Mark. Not immediately seeing him I called his name. No answer. Began searching the busy bathroom, no Mark to be found. Asked Lauren if she had seen Mark and she said he went to go get a drink. Located drinking fountains, no Mark. Began frantically looking for Mark, and he was NO WHERE in the immediate vicinity of the bathroom, however 1/2 the State of Utah was in the vicinity of the bathrooms. I sent Lauren to find Rick and let him know that Mark was missing. I kept searching, in vain, Mark was not to be found. My mind began to race. Where was he? What would he have been attracted to? How long before he realizes he is lost and begins to cry? Will someone help him? Am I going to hear a PA for a lost child?

Lauren returned shortly and told me Mark was with Rick. Relief came over me, my boy was safe. Apparently the knowledge of treats was more than he could take and could not wait for me to finish letting mother nature call. I was amazed that in the maze that is Lagoon, and with the population of Lagoon that evening probably at a record high, that he could locate Rick. We then proceeded to have a LONG discussion about walking away from mommy, causing mommy to panic. When he realized his treat was in jeopardy of being eaten by mommy, I got his attention, and his tears. Hopefully we will not be repeating that adventure again. Just the same I will be on the lookout for a GPS device that I can have implanted in him, otherwise there is NO WAY he is ever going to Scout Camp.

5 comments:

Ciarran said...

That Mark is such a little rascal! I love your new blog layout!

Brooke said...

hahaha! I am glad you found him and he was safe. That can be so scary!

Martha said...

I think you're onto something with the GPS implant idea! I'd like 3 of those, please!

Lora Dawn said...

Yea, I think you've got something there with the implant idea. A market niche unexplored.

And then you can expand the features with a mommy's still small voice microphone in it, too. "No Mark, not a good idea."

Arianne said...

Yes you should do the GPS, if they can do it for pets I'm sure they can do it for little boys!