Sunday, March 2, 2008

Is it really wise to send three year olds to Primary?


On January 5, 2008 by virtue of the fact he was three, Mark got to advance from nursery to Primary. No doubt that he was clearly too old to remain in nursery bulling unsuspecting 18 month old children, (which by the way he was, in case you missed the memo, all trucks, trains, cars and blocks in the nursery belonged to Mark and he had exclusive rights to play with them) so the Primary invited him to attend the Sunbeam class. Mark was very excited to go to Sunbeams, because he understood that big kids go to Primary and babies go to nursery, however I am not quite sure that Sunbeams and the Primary are ready for Mark. Here is a random sampling of the things Mark has said in Primary.


January 27, 2008, In sharing time Mark announced "I have stinky breath"

February 3, 2008, Mark was asked if he could be reverent and use his church voice, to which Mark replied in his very loud, deep voice "I am using my church voice." Mark has one volume and that is loud. The joke in our ward is that it does not matter where you sit in the chapel you will be able to hear Mark Vincent.

February 10, 2008, The Bishop was in Primary thanking the primary children for the Valentines the children sent the Bishop when Mark stood up and told the Bishop "You can come sleep at my house."

March 2, 2008, As Mark walked into Primary he announced "I brought myself to Primary today." Then I went into Primary because Lauren was being spotlighted. Lauren was standing upfront wearing a CTR crown and Mark stood up and said "Lauren you don't need to wear that stupid crown" and repeated it two more times.



Mark believes that Primary is an interactive sport. He functions under the belief that anyone who is upfront is directly focused on him and talking to him. He believes that he should answer every question, have a comment on everything, and should always be picked to help. Fortunately the Primary presidency is very understanding, and has not yet asked that Mark be removed from Primary. The first counselor is a good friend of mine and every week she provides me an update of what Mark has said or done that day in Primary. She thinks he is hysterical and looks forward to being in Primary every week just to see what random thing Mark is going to say or do.


4 comments:

Ciarran said...

That Mark is such a little character...

I'm not going to lie, I'm glad he's not in my nursery...

Arianne said...

Keith and I are laughing so hard! Now we have more Mark quotes to add to our current favorites. . .

"take it off, take it off, put it in the dirty clothes, take it off!!"

"I wanna diet coke please"

Smullin Family said...

Ahh yes, we have a few "Marks" in our primary. Lots of energy and always entertaining.

Lindsey said...

The funniest thing about this post is that I can hear Mark's voice in my head saying all those things. That kid just cracks me up.