Monday, March 28, 2011

Do you get a group rate for that???

Stay away from us. We are a breeding ground for bacteria. A pool of bacteria. A scientific experiment gone terribly out of control. It all started on Friday the 18th .......I noticed my throat, specifically the left side of my throat in the back was extremely sore, plus it was giving me a terrible headache to boot. I chalked it up to stress, and promptly ignored it for the next two and one half days, because you know that ignoring things always makes them go away. By Sunday night I knew I was sick, with 19 legal decisions to write by Tuesday afternoon. I wrote 8 on Sunday before going to bed, knowing that was going to pace myself on Monday and Tuesday to get them done. On Monday the soreness, and fever set in. I cancelled Katie's play date. I wrote decisions intermently all day and night until I was up to 17 written decisions. With how I was quickly deteriorating, I knew I would be in bed all day Tuesday and do my Board meeting by telephone. Tuesday morning found me in the barely functioning category. Linda was scheduled to watch the kids, so at least I didn't have that responsibility. I worked from bed, my office thought I was already under the influence of drugs, despite only taking over the counter medication. I had planned on going to Quick Care after I had the kids in bed to get real drugs, but I was too tired to go. At 4:40 a.m. Katie came into my room. Whatever I had, I shared with her. She was now sick. I sent Rick an SOS, and asked him to come stay the night on Wednesday because I knew that this was quickly becoming beyond my ability to handle I got Mark and Lauren off to school on Wednesday morning and put Katie on the couch with her blanket and the television. I returned to my bed for the remainder of the day. Rick came and took care of the kids. Around 9:30 p.m. I decided that I could not wait until morning to see a doctor and headed to the Quick Care. I arrived two minutes before they closed, which of course means I got in and out, they wanted to go home. Verdict: Strep Throat. Next morning with Katie showing no signs of improvement and now knowing what I had, I hauled her to the doctor. Verdict: Strep Throat. That same afternoon, (by now we are at Thursday, in case you lost track) Lauren comes home from school sick. At this point in time I don't need a doctor telling me what's wrong, I need another prescription. I was gearing up for another doctor visit, when my neighbor across the street, who husband is a surgeon, told me to give Lauren some to Katie's medicine to get her started and she would have her husband write a prescription for Lauren. Nobody went to school on Friday. We stayed home and languished in our agony. Truth be told I needed the girls to rest as much as possible because they had a dance competition on Saturday morning. For me any amount of expended energy was excruciatingly difficult. Compound that with a three year old who HATES the antibiotic, and has spit it back at me at least one time, and you can begin to have a glimpse into the joy that was my life last week. I am looking forward to feeling human again.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I feel your pain! We had a terrible week like that a couple of weeks ago. The girls and I were all sick! I think the worst part...even worse than the being sick...was all the homework we had to make up! Ugh! I hope you are all feeling better and stay better!

Lora Dawn said...

Sorry the bug's got you.
So lousy of it to come uninvited.
Hope you are better soon.