Thursday, October 7, 2010

Today.


I am in Idaho. Loretta, my step mother, is having a double mastectomy today. During a recent routine mammogram it was discovered she had breast cancer. She didn't have any lumps, it was cancer cells all throughout one breast and pre-cancer cells in the other breast. They think its contained, but will not really know until the surgery. I wanted to be here with her. Its the least I can do, and I wish I could do more.
The one thing I can do is get my own mammogram. Given my family history with breast cancer I started getting mammograms in my late 30's. After Loretta's diagnosis I realized that it has been two years since my last mammogram. So yesterday before I left to come to Idaho I had a mammogram.
October is breast cancer awareness month. So when you see the splash of pink everywhere think about your own breast health and have you had a mammogram lately?

1 comments:

Lora Dawn said...

Been praying for Loretta and keeping her on my mind. I hope surgery and healing go well. I put her name on the prayer roll.