Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mood

"Make it work." Tim Gunn's famous last words to designers as he walks away from projects....

Lauren and I love Project Runway. I tape it on the DVR in my room, and we usually watch two episodes at a time while eating popcorn in bed. We talk about the fashion we love, the fashion we hate and the designers who are driving us crazy. Then we make fun of Heidi Klum and her German accent when she says "One minute your in and the next minute your OUT!"

Its all sorts of fun. So of course any trip to NYC would NOT be complete without a trip to Mood, the fabric store where all Project Runway fashions begin. Our goal was to find fabric that Lauren could use for her 4-H project next year, you know stuff I can't just pick up at JoAnn's.

So much fabric! I am quite sure Hertha was smiling down on us fabric shopping while on vacation. Mood is three floors of fabric, that is semi organized. (Fabric shopping there is a bit comando style...) But I must warn you fabric from one floor can't be taken to another floor. I attempted to take some fabric I found on the third floor down to the second floor to add to my growing pile, only to be rebuked by a middle eastern man telling me that fabric must be cut on the floor it is found on. Seriously??? I thought he was kidding. I mean really who ever heard of such a ridiculous rule? Besides I was trying to match my fabric. I was offered a swatch. I declined. A swatch was not going to cut it, I needed to see the whole fabric measured against my other finds. I refused his offer, and put the fabric back. I didn't love it that much to play by his Nazi fabric cutting rule.

Then there was the trim....quite frankly I am not quit sure how the designers on Project Runway make their choices, its really sensory overload.

Yes, its a bit pricey....$50.00 per yard for this lovely find.

Here is the pile of fabric we selected. We stayed away from the $50 fabric, although you could tell that the more expensive the fabric was really good quality.

Lauren with her Mood bag in front of the HUGE button selection. She is planning to "make it work" with her 4-H design for next year, and I personally can't wait to see the judge's faces when she casually drops that her fabric came from Mood......(Oh man, I can feel the good karma from my mother!)

2 comments:

Arianne said...

SO cool, I want to go there! And I can't wait to see what she makes!

Smullin Family said...

I too am a "Project Runway" watcher. I used to tape it on my DVR and Tawnya would come over and watch it with me. I LOVE Tim Gunn!
It would be nice to go there some day, but I would probably be too overwhelmed to make a choice about buying any fabric.
So cool!
"Make it work" Lauren!