Monday, May 17, 2010

That was painful, round two.


You may recall that about two months ago I had a lovely run in with a bladder infection, that resulted in a late night trip to the emergency room for pain relief. Shortly after that unfortunate incident Arianne suffered a similar fate. So this last week I had to call and inform her what her next medical ailment would be.....

Last Monday night I was kindly minding my own business around 10:00 p.m., and writing legal decisions for my Board on Tuesday. As of often do, (ok, I admit its a really bad, bad, bad habit) I like to much on something while I write. My munchie of choice on Monday, the Cheetos, puff variety. (Crunchy are my first choice, but I was out of those and Lauren and talked me into buying puffy last time we were at the grocery store.) As I was happily munching away, and writing away, I began to feel not so good. It started as an annoying pain my my side, (no, Rick was not here he was at his house....) the pain became more and more uncomfortable until it began to impact my ability to think and write. (Now mind you I have a high pain threshold, courtesy of my prosecution days.) After about 30 minutes I had to take a break from writing, by then then the Cheetos were long gone. The pain kept getting worse and I knew that something was wrong, this was more than indigestion from eating overly processed food.

I wondered if I was having a gallbladder attack. I quickly googled the symptoms, and I met nearly all the criteria. I called Linda, and told her what was happening and she agreed, and we decided that I needed another trip to the ER.

By the time she arrived at my house I was nearly in tears because of the pain. Courtney came with her to stay with the kids, and we jumped in the car.

Somewhere around the 300 north block of center street in Orem I instructed Linda to pull over. I rolled down the window, and deposited dinner and Cheetos. I am sure the Orem City street crew is so pleased with me. Just for good measure I left a few remains on the side of the car....

Once at Orem Community Hospital, (I will let you in on a little secret, if you live in Utah County go to Orem Community Hospital if you have a medical situation that is severe, but not life threatening. You see when people think of the ER they think of Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, which is a fine facility, but the wait time is horrible unless you are dying. No one thinks to go to Orem Community Hospital, and let me tell you BOTH times I have been there I was the ONLY patient, I got LOTS of attention, which is how it should be!) I was promptly admitted, and had a blood pressure of 165/85. Did in mention I was in pain???

Doctor agreed with me that I had all the classic symptoms of a gallbladder attack, and ordered me a lovely IV with my drug of choice, morphine. Within less than 60 seconds of the nurse injecting the morphine, relief swept over my body. I told her I loved her. The doctor came in and I told him I loved the nurse, he mentioned that he ordered the morphine, so I told him that I loved him too. Within 10 minutes no more pain. According to the doctor apparently my color was returning.

I was sent home with the instruction to stay away from Cheetos and other fatty food, and to obtain an ultra sound. Ultra sound scheduled this Thursday.......current diet, sucks....., but better than the alternative.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry, that sounds so painful. We'll be here for Court's graduation, maybe we can schedule a girl's craft night while we're here?

Jolee said...

Oh sad! Especially when seeing that your next post down was "ooey, gooey, chocolate caramel tart." But, hopefully you will get better soon!! :)

Lora Dawn said...

Uh oh. Been there. Done that. Gravel-y gall bladder, that is. And the matching pain. Groan. Hope you get a useful diagnosis and some relief. Pronto.

Smullin Family said...

I too have been-there-done-that. Not fun.

I suffered with coming-and-going pain for close to a year and then finally one night it wouldn't go away. I was told not to go to the ER, becuase I wouldn't be treated promptly, but to go see the doctor in the morning. What a terrible night!!!

The next morning, I had an ultrasound confirming "sludge" in my gallbladder. I was in so much pain... and no one would give me anything for it. After the ultrasound, they gave me a perscription for pain pills..FINALLY! Had the gallbladder removed the next day outpatient. Ahhhh, finallly some relief.

I've been told that you can manage it with diet, but I chose to just get rid of it. Good luck.

Brooke said...

Sounds like you are getting ready to have your gall bladder taken out! I had an attack like that right before I got mine out and I didn't know I could get morphine!?! Call me silly but I am jealous!!!

Question) Do you have a constant pain in you right shoulder blade area? I totally had pain back there for about 7 years (thought it was a torn muscle or something from v-ball) but when i woke up from my surgery the pain was gone. So now when I hear other people with gb issues I aways ask.

Hope you get feeling better soon!!!

Carol said...

I've known several people who have ended up having their gall bladders removed. Michele had to have hers out shortly after her second child was born. She thought that she was dying because the pain was so bad, but by the time they got to the UVRMC ER it had subsided. They talked to the triage nurse and she said that was probably what it was so she wasn't admitted and just came home. She went to the doctor the next day and had the ultrasound and was diagnosed with gall stones. She had surgery shortly after that.