Thursday, May 27, 2010

The pool....

I have always wanted a house with a pool. I envisioned myself sitting poolside, cool drink in hand, basking in the warm sun, with wonderful trashy magazine or book. My children happily splashing about, beckoning me to join them in the water...

Well I have a pool, the only problem with my pool, its inside the house as opposed to outside. Not exactly the poolside I envisioned...

As you could see from my Monday post, we received quite a bit of snow. It was very wet snow, and when all was said and done there was probably an inch on the ground. By the afternoon the temperature was warming up and the very wet snow began to melt, and melt rather quickly.

Little did I know I had a gutter that was clogged. What does that mean? Well all the snow melting off my roof was not draining into gutter to eventually end up in my yard, it was falling off the side of my house and into two window wells in my basement. Yep, another flood. (Different room this time, wanted to spread the wealth around.)

This is what I saw when I went into my guest bedroom on Monday afternoon. Yes, that three inch line you see in the window is the level of the water, just waiting to pour into my house for that pool I have envied all these years.

It slowly dripped off the window seal onto the floor. When I first saw it I was completely overwhelmed. I knew there was nothing I could do until all the water drained out of the window well, so I just turned around and walked away, hoping that my problem would go away....

No such luck, it only got worse as more water drained in the room and the carpet and pad became completely soaked, with standing water on top. Rick was a HUGE help in aiding me in this situation. Lauren had a dance practice, so while I was gone he started water removal with the steam cleaner.

After dinner we removed all the furniture out of the room, including this wool rug that was soaked. I put plastic down on my craft table and then put the rug on top with fans to dry it out. Because it was wool, you can only imagine the smell, a lot like wet dog.

Next came the industrial blowers to circulate air under the carpet with the hopes that one day my carpet and pad might be dry. This time because there was sooooo much water I was able to achieve that tropical oasis in my house. I came home from work on Tuesday, and with a day of those fans blowing all that moist air around, and I could swear I was living in Florida. Now where is that cool and refreshing drink I could use that about now.....
I no longer have a desire for a pool. Water is soooooo over rated.

0 comments: