Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mother Nature

I am a firm believer that snow is something that you should be able to take out and play with, but then put it back when you are done. In other words, I believe in snow in the mountains, rain in the valley. Apparently Mother Nature does not share my view point.

Thanksgiving weather in one word: Hellish.

I had planned a trip to Idaho for Thanksgiving, thinking I would leave on Wednesday afternoon and return on Sunday afternoon. Mother Nature whipped up a dandy of a storm right before Thanksgiving, and I realized on Monday evening that if I didn't get in my car and leave that night I would either have a 10-12 hour drive to Idaho or remain in Utah for Thanksgiving.

9:00 p.m. Monday night with my car packed I headed to Idaho. Good choice. It was me and the truckers. Arrived a short 6 hours later, completely in tacked, with only a slight snow delay.

Not so lucky on the trip home.....

This was a "good" road while driving home. I left Boise at 10:30 a.m. and arrived in Provo at 8:20 p.m.. In sum, I drove about 40 mph all the way from Boise to Provo. Good news, I was not one of the 100 plus cars that slid off the road, and I had a really good book on tape called "Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough which was a biography on the childhood of Theodore Roosevelt.

Not that I want to make that kind of a drive again.

2 comments:

Arianne said...

Yikes! I was wondering how your trip went with the weather, I'm glad you made it safely!

John and Melanie Gray Hales said...

Glad you made it safely, Tiffany.
We also had a little fun driving to Sacramento to catch a flight to New York and the MACY'S Thanksgiving Day parade. Drove half the way to Sacramento (Donner Pass, etc) with chains and a 30 mph speed limit. Luckily, Sacramento is only 120 miles away. 70 mph coming home.