Monday, July 21, 2008

Our reputation doth proceed us.

Well just for fun and amusement the Primary Presidency decided that Mark should have another turn to participate in opening exercises. The horror arrived home last week in the form of a note from the secretary of the Primary informing me that Lauren was assigned the talk, and Mark the scripture. The topic, missionary work. D-Day, July 20, 2008. For some reason not entirely clear to me, they, the Primary Presidency, likes to group siblings together for prayers, talks, and scriptures. It was a particularly busy Sunday, because Rick and I were asked to pray in Sacrament meeting, Rick had to teach Sunday School and I had to teach Relief Society. Katie was the only one who escaped unscathed from a church assignment.

As the week drew on I carefully crafted Lauren's talk and saved it on my transportable USB drive, only to find that my file was corrupt when I attempted to print the talk. Back to the drawing board. Then I went to look up the scripture for Mark which was assigned as D&C 15:18. The only problem with the scripture was section 15 only has 6 verses. I considered writing my own scripture, but decided that a visit with the Bishop for a church disciplinary council really couldn't be penciled in this week. I call the secretary who informed me she had transposed the section and the verse and it was actually 18:15. Good news section 18 does have a verse 15.

I had Lauren practice her talk and made Mark wait with anticipation to practice his scripture, which only served to further his excitement about participating in Primary. He wanted to practice his scripture over and over and over. Sunday morning he DEMANDED breakfast immediately and a bath. He spent an hour trying to convince me to put on his church shoes and leave for church. He also carried the paper with his scripture on it all around the house and into church. As soon as sacrament meeting was over he split the chapel and headed straight for Primary.

When I arrived in Primary to help him he was sitting up front with Lauren telling everyone he had the scripture, he was also picking his nose. As opening exercises commenced he again proceeded to announce to the entire Primary "I have the scripture," but at least he stopped picking his nose. Finally it was his turn to give the scripture. As he went to the pulpit, one of the 11 year old girls in Primary said to her friends, "Hey look, Mark is giving the scripture." The girls ceased talking and focused on Mark. I can only assume from their conduct that anytime he opens his mouth in Primary he must cause quite a stir......or a least say something probably best not said in Primary. I helped him with his scripture and he practically had the microphone in his mouth. He made it through his scripture without any socially unacceptable conduct, and sat down puffed with pride that he had participated in Primary. He was followed by Lauren, who of course stood up with her confidence and poise projecting her message of missionary work.

Later during sharing time when missionary work was being discussed, he raised his hand, and the first counselor called on him. He said to her"I am having a bad day." Isn't that what sharing time is for, to share???

1 comments:

Arianne said...

I wish a camera could follow him around all day and catch his entertaining moments. I think he'd make a great reality show.