Friday, July 18, 2008

For the love of all things Macy's

The perfect keyring for a Macy's girl!


For those of you who do not know I am a connoisseur of Macy's. I LOVE the store, and whenever I go on a trip I locate the nearest Macy's and check our their selection. The exception to my LOVE of Macy's is the stores in Utah. Basically they suck. The product selection and quality is very poor. The styles look like something your grandmother would wear. About two months ago I noticed an article in the Deseret News about how Macy's was restructuring their management in order to cater to local markets. No longer would the merchandise buyers come from Seattle, but now would be located in a regional area. The article went on to say that Macy's was going to talk to associates and customers to get input on the the type of merchandise it should be offering.

Well I took that as my hint that Macy's wanted my opinion. So I put pen to paper or rather keyboard to email, and fired off a letter. I kindly explained that I was a holder of the Macy's black card, which means I spend an obscene amount of money in their stores, and that the majority of my purchases came from out of state because I was dissatisfied with the selection in Utah. I went on to say I would love the opportunity to meet with Macy's to express my desires for merchandise. Apparently they looked up my Macy's account because I got an immediate response. Due to scheduling conflicts it took about 6 weeks to schedule our meeting, which actually allowed me to do some research in both Phoenix and Boise, two cities I have been in during the last six weeks. I took lots of pictures of merchandise in both cities, that I knew I would never see in Utah. (Ok, technically Macy's prohibits photography inside their stores, but I considered this to be information gathering in order for them to better serve their customers.)

As the day approached I gathered my evidence, opps, I mean my photos, and prepared to explain exactly how Macy's could better serve the customer. I even did a tour around the Orem store in order to point out how product could be better displayed. When I arrived not only was I greeted by the merchandiser for the store, but TWO regional directors. See I told you they looked at my Macy's account! I sat down with them and explained my love of Macy's and my disappointment in the Utah stores. They took copious notes on my suggestions, and appreciated my pictures. They agreed that the Utah stores struggle. At the end they asked me if they put together an advisory board if I would like to be on it. I of course jumped at the chance, because I have a lot of opinions I would like to share.

For now there are not going to be any immediate changes to the Utah stores, because they purchase clothing a year in advance and right now are planning for spring/summer 2009. Which of course I understood, I just appreciated the chance to voice my opinion. So for now its more trips out of state to find good Macy's!

1 comments:

About Ours Good One Home said...

What fun! Will your ideas be put into action for Spring 2009? Did they say they would improve their petite selection?? You go girl.