Friday, November 28, 2008

Embrace and move on.

My hair has been a source of frustration for the last few years. Three years ago when I was pregnant with Katie I discovered I had a thyroid problem, a sign of which is loosing your hair. I lost a TON of hair prior to my doctor placing me on medication. Then I began to enjoy the benefits of pregnancy hair, where none of it fell out, and it grew think and healthy again, only to experience post-pregnancy where it all fell out. I have been working hard on growing it back, needless to say I don't need layers in my hair, they are naturally there. Over the last six months I have began to loose my hair again. I assumed my thyroid was out of whack, and recently when I visited with my doctor I asked that she check my thyroid because of my hair loss. She said she would be happy to check it, but my hair loss was probably a result of the stress in my life, oh yeah that stress.... I said "Great I am going to be single and bald, what could be better!"

In addition to significant hair loss, my hair has decided that after 40 years of being straight it now wants to be curly. (The good thing about that is, curly looks like I have more volume than I actually do) It has taken me a while to accept the new texture of my hair. After all most of my life I have been a straight hair sort of a girl. So what did I do with my curly hair, straighten it of course.

With three children I still like to straighten it, but find myself lacking in time. So recently I decided to embrace my curls. What is really interesting and frustrating to me is that some days my curls are really cute, and other days they seem flat. I have tried all sorts of products trying to produce cute curls on a consistent basis, but no luck.

On Thursday I decided to mess around with my curling iron. I put product in my hair, let it air dry and then placed a few curls in with the curling iron. It took much less time than straightening, and I was happy with the results.


I have decided to embrace my curls and move on. Now if I could only do something about my thinning hair....

3 comments:

just me said...

I love your hair curly!!! I too go through phases of hair loss and I originally had stick straight hair. A few years back it decided to be frizzy with occasional curls. At least yours is blonde!!

Margaret said...

Tiff, you look great! I love the curls!

Smullin Family said...

Like I said before...I like your hair. Looks good.

As for the thinning..I think it's in our genes..well, atleast in my genes. I loose a lot of hair, every day..and especially at the beginning of pregnancy and after the baby is born. With Treyson(#3) it was the worst. I actually had balding areas by my temples(sp?). To make sure it wasn't just me, I showed Jason and he said, "Whoa! you're right." I didn't REALLY think it was THAT bad, but it really was. You're in good company.