Friday, November 14, 2008

Katie got a hair cut!

I could not take Katie's straggly, uneven, hard to manage, hair any longer. She had not had a cut or trim since birth, and it was time. Now mind you, cutting her hair was like trying to shoot a moving target, only worse, scissors were involved.

It was a Saturday and Katie was fresh from the bath tub. Wet hair is always so much easier to cut. On a whim I grabbed a pair of scissors I keep in my closet, that are fairly sharp and started "hacking" away at the back of her hair. She of course kept moving her pretty little head, and I was afraid of accidentally sticking her with the scissors, and how I would explain that to the doctor, the police, a judge etc.... After all what mother, who is not a trained stylist would attempt to cut the hair of a 17 month old baby.

(This is the problem with lawyers, a little knowledge is dangerous, and then they think they can do anything, plumbing, electrical work, programing the DVR player, cutting hair. After all if you can pass a state bar examine what can you not accomplish? The state bar really needs to have a post bar class on just because we gave you a license to practice law does not make you capable in all fields, to the contrary, stick to the law and leave the rest to the professionals.)

That being said, my greatest fear was her moving her head as I was cutting and ending up with a jagged cut, and then it just would not look right.

You can see from my pile I was successful in removing a significant amount of hair. I distracted her with enough toys and treats to make the initial cut. Then as the day wore on I followed her throughout the house and evened it up here and there.




The final result was a cute "bob" that looks better and is so much easier to manage. She has gotten lots of compliments on her new "do" and she looks very grown up and sophisticated.
Who says a lawyer can't cut hair???????

6 comments:

Arianne said...

That is so stinkin adorable! I can't believe how thick her hair looks. Way cuter than Suri Cruise's bob!

Lindsey said...

Her hair cut is way cute and I was even more impressed to know that you had done it! You are braver than I am! It turned out great!

Unknown said...

Wow! Im impressed! You did a GREAT job! It is so dang cute on her!

A*Waite said...

I love it! Very Cute.

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

I'm thinking that a) you can give up your day job
and b) she'll be severely traumatized from being chased by a mom with scissors.

At single's ward home evening the other night, kids took turns saying what scared them the most. Stuff like snakes, ants, dark alleys. These stemmed from traumatic childhood incidents. Twenty years hence, your daughter will say, "Scissors."

That is one cute haircut.

Smullin Family said...

Very cute cut. I love it!
I too do the initial cut and then throughout the next day or two, do a little trimming here and there.
The best distraction I've found for cutting kiddo's hair is a spray bottle, with water in it. I sit them on the bathroom counter, facing the mirror and they sit there and suck on the spray bottle. A little gross, but effective.