Monday, July 11, 2011

Needing some imput....


4-H grand champion clothing construction, August 1985.


First place, Humorous Interpretation, National Forensic League, April 1986, (Qualified me for the national tournament)


4-H grand champion fashion review, August 1984

In high school I was know to have a trophy or two, between speech and debate competitions, and 4-H. I have long since parted with all my trophies but three. I am now trying to decided what to do with the remaining three.

Recently I have been working on down sizing my life. I have been sorting and cleaning like no-ones business. I want to live with less stuff. I want to manage the stuff in my life and not let stuff manage me. I want to live a more simple life. I want to focus on the moments, the memories, not the stuff.

So in the process of cleaning I came across these three trophies. They have been in a storage room in my basement, basically collecting dust, and over the course of 20 some years have become broken and scratched.

Of course in high school I had them prominently displayed in my bedroom, and was quite proud of my accomplishments. But since then I have gone on to do all sorts of other things, and while I am still proud of my accomplishment, it does not define me as it did in high school.

So what the heck do I do with these trophies????!!!!!

Clearly its not something I use. Clearly its not something I show off. But they do represent a memory, a memory whose value is primarily to me.

So I am asking you, what do you think I should do? The way I see it I have several choices, although I am open to any other ideas that anyone else may have....Here they are:

1. Throw the trophies away.
2. Keep the trophies in the storage room in the basement, waiting someday for my kids to throw them away.
3. Throw the trophies away, but use the picture to write a story about each trophy and the memory associated with it.
4. Give the trophy to the Deseret Industries, and let some other person re-purpose the trophy and wonder about the story behind the trophy.

What say you?

8 comments:

Jolee B. said...

I think you should go with number 3. And I'm grateful for that idea, because I have various 'junk' that I've been carrying around for sometime too and as we are packing to move back to UT, I really want my house to burn down, so I have an excuse to get rid of the junk. Putting a picture of it on a blog and then telling a story about it is a great idea, because then you have the memory, but you don't have to waste space! :)

jwilson said...

Number 3, definitely.

Margaret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margaret said...

can't edit comments so I'm reposting - Sorry - I'm just sitting here laughing 'cause despite just going thru a major move, I did not manage to get rid of my Speech and Debate trophies! I'd take a picture but they're still in a box and will probably stay there until our next move!
When I used to do the Band Scramble music contest at NW Folklife the bands that won would get big trophies pieced together from trophies found at thrift shop so we could dis-assemble them and every person in the band would get a piece. I always thought that was an excellent re-use of old trophies - so I vote #4 - Donate to DI.
Before we donated things for the move we did take pictures to remember them by, viva la Digital Age!

Lora Dawn said...

Yeah.....the combo of #3 and #4.
I like the thought of you writing a memory piece to accompany the photo of each.

Smullin Family said...

Even before given the options, I was thinking of #3..I like #4 too. Especially if it gets repurposed in a funny way. :)

Arianne said...

Yep, I agree #3 and #4. I want to read your fun stories about them. And you know some lucky BYU students will find them at the DI and have all kinds of fun with them :)

Ciarran said...

I would like the stories behind each trophy for sure.