Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Of, snowmen and books....

Last September, about two weeks into the new school year, Mark came home sporting a library book. He was sooooo excited. He kept the book in his bedroom and we read it every night for a week. It was about snowmen, you know a timely subject in 80 degree weather.

After a week had passed I knew he needed to return the book. He has library once a week at school and is not allowed to check out a new book until the old book is returned. I placed the book in his backpack and told him to return his book.

About a month later Mark came home with a note from the librarian saying that his book was not returned and he owed $4.50 for the book, fine included. He was very upset. Mainly because he was denied the privilege of checking out a new book until the old book was returned or the fine was paid. Upon seeing the note I was wracking my brain. I was quite sure I had put the book in his backpack to be returned, but it had been a month, and I can't recall what happened yesterday, let alone a month prior. I questioned Mark about returning the book. He was quite ADAMANT that he had returned the book. So I decided ignore the note and hope the book would make an appearance either at home or school. (Truth be told I was just waaaayyyy to busy to worry about a lost library book, and given Mark's track record of losing things, I decided that his NOT being allowed to check out library books was probably a good thing. )

Enter the month of December....ok, I am an awful mom. I did not check his backpack during the month of December. He never has homework, and whatever notes the school sends home, Lauren gets the same note, so its just not a priority. Well when January came along Mark informed me he had homework, and was quite insistent he needed to do his homework. Not believing he really had homework I checked his backpack and discovered he did indeed have homework every night. We already had two nights of homework upon discovery.

In the process of checking his backpack I discovered a second note from the librarian, and it was more stern that the first and highlighted in purple marker. Book still not found or returned, and the fine was still due and owing, as in DUE and owning NOW. Which begs the question, if you are in first grade and you don't pay your library fine, what are the consequences, aside from not being able to check out another book? In high school and college they hold your grades and transcript hostage. Do you not get to advance to second grade if you owe the library for a book? Detention? Is it a mark on your "permanent" record?" It is like your immunizations, they kick you out of school if you are not up to date? Or is it more like a truancy notice they send the parents if your kid has too many absences or tardies? Well not wanting to find out what consequences the Provo School District might impose on either me or Mark I decided I needed to fork over my $4.50, and release Mark from his library sentence.

Dressed in my finest lawyer attire for work yesterday I proceeded to the library to atone for our library sins. Upon arrival, no one there....I pondered...should I leave the money and the threatening note that was sent home, should I leave and try another day....should I hang out, after all it was a library, I am sure I could find something to read. Alas the librarian rounded the corner.

She asked if she could help me. I explained that I received a note that my son did not return his book, and I needed to pay a fine. I also explained that I was quite sure the book was returned. She took my note, and my money and began to study my note. (I thought perhaps she was realizing that she had been a bit too harsh in the note and we really were not the hardened library criminals she had made us out to be.)

"Oh the snowman book..." she said. "I think we found that book just a few days ago. Let me check." Click, click, click go the keys of her computer. Yes indeed the book was located. During some Christmas vacation cleaning of the library, the book was located on a shelf, but not in the correct section. Apparently Mark had indeed returned the book, but rather than place the book in the book return, he engaged in a little self help and attempted to re-shelf the book. I guess my constant nagging about putting books back on the shelf at home translated into returning your library book to a shelf, and in Mark's mind, any shelf will do. He had indeed returned the book, just like he told me in September. The librarian returned my money and told the the matter was resolved, and Mark could now check out library books again.

The question is, just because you can do something like check out library books...should be allowed to check out library books.....

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love your stories! Feeling a bit sorry for all the lost library time Mark missed out on, when he was in fact innocent. I hope the librarian issues him an apology...at minimum!! Maybe takes him to DQ or something. Hmmm~Like that's going to happen. Oh well! It would be a nice gesture.

Smullin Family said...

We've had a similar thing happen to us with Treyson...lots of threatening notes sent home, no memory of the book, searched high and low for the book, notes ignored, library privileges revoked, book found AT the library!

No apology, just re-instated library privleges.