Monday, January 24, 2011

It was a good day, Indeed!


The last few years have taught me many lessons, but one in particular is to slow down and enjoy the ride. Its about creating memories with my kids, and letting them know they are loved beyond anything else.

With the change in the calendar year, came a change in our church time, and all I have to say on this matter his hallelujah. Our previous start time was 9:00 a.m.. Well you all know what a morning person I am, so to get up, get me and three kids ready for church was a real challenge. Now granted I do this every day for school, well technically I get them ready, and then I come home and get ready, and school does not involve fancy hair and dresses, so getting ready for school seems infinitely easier than Sunday. With 9:00 a.m. church it ALWAYS involved me yelling at one, two or three children, which of course always invites the spirit.....so now to have 11:00 a.m. church seems like heaven. We get to sleep in a bit, have a late breakfast, shower and bathe, and we don't feel rushed out the door. We ALL arrive for sacrament meeting in a peaceful mood, ready to feel the spirit.

Ok, now I have an admission about sacrament meeting. An admission that will probably damn me for all eternity.....I let my children pay with Ipads during sacrament meeting. I know, I know, my mother is probably rolling over in her grave. But they do have to wait until after the sacrament, and it keeps them quite and distracted which means I get to focus on the talks and the message, something I have not been able to do for several years because of small children. It used to be the joke it my ward that it really didn't matter where you sat in the chapel, you WOULD hear Mark. We had quite the reputation, and truth be told still do....people fear sitting by us....,unless of course they are looking for entertainment aside from the speaker.

The other thing about 11:00 a.m. church is that we are done by 2:00 p.m., which means I still get to have a nice afternoon nap. Yesterday it started out cuddled up next to Katie, and was interrupted about 45 minutes later when Katie informed me she needed to go "potty."

After the nap it was cuddle time in my bed with Mark while we watched YouTube videos of Thomas the Tank Engine for about 45 minutes. The man works an Ipad like no ones business. Its not me finding the videos, its him searching and finding what we are going to watch.

After that it was on to dinner. While I prepared a healthy meal of mac & cheese, Lauren made her first batch of brownies, completely by herself, with my supervision of course. She was quite puffed with pride about the whole experience. Katie was a little bitter at being told she needed to be older to make brownies alone, but lightened up when given the spatula to lick.

Brownies were yummy, children were adorably cute, and I could not get enough of kissing and hugging them. Yes, it was a good day indeed!

0 comments: