Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ode to Hertha.

I hereby declare its officially Christmas, we have made our gingerbread. Gingerbread is a long standing tradition that dates back as far as I can recall. When I was young I used to watch my mother make the cookies, and when I got older I helped her make the cookies. Some of the cookies we ate, but many of the cookies she decorated and gave to neighbor's and friends. We always seemed to take some to Grandma Ison's on Christmas Day. This is why its not Christmas until some gingerbread has entered our life.

The kids, well Mark specifically, have been bugging me for several weeks now to pull out the molasses and cookies cutters. I finally caved in last night. They had a great time selecting which shapes they would be using. And yes that ENTIRE yellow bin is full of cookie cutters. Now in my defense, many of them are from my mother and my Grandma Hales.


They were a little excited about the dough.

Lauren is now old enough to help! (Got to train her right, don't want to be cursed by my mother!) Katie on the other hand wishes she was old enough to help.

Mark selected a train cookie cutter, I know BIG surprise.

Lauren, working on her shapes.

Of course Katie was NOT going to be left out.

Finished product. Well kind of finished, the kids want to decorate them.....I said maybe tonight....still trying to recover from making them.

0 comments: