Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Van.

Recently on a trip to Idaho I took the opportunity to take pictures of my dad's old van.  This van, oh if it could talk!  For as long as I can recall my dad drove this van.  It took us on family trips, it took our bikes to the greenbelt, it took ALL my stuff to college, and it took my dad to work everyday.  He loved this van. 

The first color I recall it being was a metallic light blue.  I don't think it was the original van color, but its the first color I recall.  Then somewhere along the at got painted cream, with cool 70's stripes.  (With the right paint, I thinking it could double as the "Mystery Machine."  I want to be Daphne, she is the smartest dresser.)


Check out the "mag" wheels.

Pimped out with antennas for optimum KSL reception.  (KSL, home of the Cougars, my dad's favorite radio station.  He was very thankful for their strong broadcast signal that allowed him to listen to KSL in Idaho.)

Check out the leather wrapped steering wheel!  And you can see the metallic blue paint I recall.

No respectable van from the 60's and 70's is complete with out the matching shag carpet, custom installed by "big Noel" himself.  He also built the center console with the CB radio.  The bottom part of the console is storage, and my dad always kept some yummy candy treat in there.  You could sneak out to his van and steal a treat!
Finally, you will notice the gas tank INSIDE the van.  (Where were the lawyers???!!!  Liability I tell you!)  How many vehicles do you know where you have to open the door of the vehicle to access the gas tank?  Better yet, don't ask how many times I sat on the gas tank, while driving down the road. (It had a padded cover over the top) This van, seat belts were not optional, it never came with seat belts to begin with.  Its a classic, I tell you! 

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh too funny! We had the _same_ van! My dad painted ours lemon yellow with purple flames! He also built a box so my brother and I could sit on top of the engine compartment without burning our rears. No seat belts! Mom had to do the ol' whip-out-the-right-arm to catch the kids move when coming to a sudden stop. :-)

Arianne said...

That's awesome, I'm so glad you got some good pictures of it. . . so many memories! I love how Dad hooked up a tv and vcr on our trip to California one year, I have no idea how because I'm sure that was before they had car adapters and portable options, but leave it to Dad to supply a TV on a road trip! Yes, the gas tank seat was coveted, I was always fighting over it with either Jeron or Ciarran.