Monday, May 23, 2011

Savor




May is always a crazy month. I just anticipate it every year, and know I need to batten down the hatches because it will be a bumpy ride. Both Mark and Katie have birthdays in May, school is wrapping up with lots of end of the year projects and special activities, and our after school activities always have competitions, and recitals in May. I just know that every moment of every day WILL be busy.



This year the critical mass was May 14-16, 2011. During this 72 hour time period I had one piano recital, one dance competition, (three dances for Lauren, two for Katie), one dance recital, (five dances for Lauren, and two for Katie), Katie's birthday party at home and school, Lauren's county project was due, and I had to teach Relief Society. (Not to mention the 40 cases for work, and the normal everyday running of our life things.) So I knew I would have to be hyper organized in order to pull off.



About 36 hours into the mayhem, the kids were in bed and I was taking a moment to savor the day. It was the day when we had the piano recital, the dance competition, and the finishing touches to prepare for Katie's birthday party. I was exhausted. We has such a good day.



First to be savored, the piano recital. Lauren did so well at her piano recital, on a piece she has been working on for many months. I love to hear her play and I love how well she is developing her talent.



Second to be savored, the dance competition. The girls love to dance, and LOVE dance competition. Me, being competitive by nature, LOVES dance competitions too. I love to see the girls preform, I love getting them ready for their next dance. I love seeing them having fun with their friends. I love taking to the other moms. I love the excitement I feel and the girls feel when they are dancing. I love that I am creating this memory with my girls.



Last to be savored, the finishing touches to Katie's party. I loved to see the look on her face when she saw her finished cupcakes. I love how excited she was in making the "picks" to decorate her cupcakes. I loved how excited she was to decorate for her party, making sure the table cloth was flat, the plates were in the correct place, and a napkin carefully placed on each plate. The balloons....I love how much $4.00 in balloons can entertain a soon to be four year old. I love how much she kept telling me she LOVED the Barbie wrapping paper that her presents were wrapped in. It was a delight to see the joy in her eyes.



As I contemplated the day and the many memories we created in such a short time, it reminded me how short this time really is. How I only have them for a few years, how I want them much longer. How I can't imagine not having the daily demands from them. How I want to pause and savor this for much longer than I can.

0 comments: